Having to add Macs to NoSplash

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Having to add Macs to NoSplash

Post by russellhltn »

I wonder if anyone else has run into this. Users of apple products (probably Macbook) are having to be added to the NoSplash policy in order for them to work. It seems like they should be able to deal with the splash screen and move on from there.

I've run into this with two different users on two different buildings, so it's not a one-off.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Re: Having to add Macs to NoSplash

Post by Biggles »

One of my Bishopric Counsellors uses a Mac for the Zoom side of our Sunday services. He didn’t have any issues with logging in without the No Splash policy. He didn’t think anything about it. However I did eventually (After about 3 weeks) add his Mac to the No Splash policy, as it meant that he didn’t have to remember to login when preparing for the meeting to start.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Remember that there is a limit to the number of devices you are able to add to the NoSplash policy. Not all of the members will be able to have it.

Also, elsewhere here at the Forum it has been suggested that iOS spoofs the MAC address of the device as a security mechanism. This also means a member must continually sign in to Liahona as they walk around the meetinghouse. There is a way to set the device so that it does not spoof the MAC address. The setting is WiFi network specific, so it an be set for just the Liahona network.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Remember that there is a limit to the number of devices you are able to add to the NoSplash policy. Not all of the members will be able to have it.
Yes, I know. But this will have to do for the moment. The alternative is to tell them they can't use a Mac on the church network. Fortunately, not all that many members bring laptops to church.

One of the people I'm working with has good computer skills and it is happening to two Macs under his care. According to him "the splash screen opens but doesn't load". Of course, without being able to click on that screen, they're not going anywhere.

I'd love to find a fix, but I'm not sure what else to tell them to do.

lajackson wrote:Also, elsewhere here at the Forum it has been suggested that iOS spoofs the MAC address of the device as a security mechanism.
Yes, but I'm not sure as Mac OS does the same. I'll cross that bridge if it comes up. If it does, then I really need a work around to communicate to the users.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
melx

Post by melx »

We are seeing the same problem with multiple Macs at our stake center. I cannot believe no one has found a solution to this. If you find one, please post it.
dbaresrc

Post by dbaresrc »

I wonder if it's related to the version of MacOS they're running? I'm on 10.15.7 (Catalina) and have never had a problem, Including last night when I was working an issue in our Stake Center.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It could be, but I'd think the browser in use would be more significant.

jacobstimpson

Post by jacobstimpson »

It’s the browser. I see this on my Mac all the time. Use safari to get the captive portal prompt after that any browser works.

You can also visit http://captive.apple.com/ And it will hit the portal from any browser.
garnsb

Post by garnsb »

jacobstimpson wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:00 am It’s the browser. I see this on my Mac all the time. Use safari to get the captive portal prompt after that any browser works.

You can also visit http://captive.apple.com/ And it will hit the portal from any browser.
This was legit! Not sure how you found this, but it is a solid fix.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”