New accounts for clerk computer

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New accounts for clerk computer

Post by russellhltn »

wcovey wrote:I did have to set run as administrator in all of the units and it still comes up with the box to authorize changes to Windows in order to open; on all of the units.
All of the units have to be administrators, but there's more.

You need to grant all the units "modify" rights to C:\ProgramData\LDS Church (including subdirectories). It's not enough that the administrators group has the needed rights.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

wcovey wrote:I did have to set run as administrator in all of the units and it still comes up with the box to authorize changes to Windows in order to open...
If you have "Run as administrator" set for the MLS program, then yes, Windows will always popup the authorization box.
russellhltn wrote:You need to grant all the units "modify" rights to C:\ProgramData\LDS Church (including subdirectories).
While this works if done properly, it's not a trivial task and probably shouldn't be attempted by someone without a good grasp of Windows file system permissions.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:While this works if done properly, it's not a trivial task and probably shouldn't be attempted by someone without a good grasp of Windows file system permissions.
It may need detailed instructions, but I don't think it's that hard. What am I missing?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:It may need detailed instructions, but I don't think it's that hard. What am I missing?
Last time I did it, a few files refused to have their permissions or ownership changed without some serious tweaking.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:Last time I did it, a few files refused to have their permissions or ownership changed without some serious tweaking.
It can be a problem if neither "Administrators" nor the currently logged in user has access. It's hard to give rights to something you don't have rights to.

If I get a chance, I may have to explore.

Return to “Clerk Computers”