Zoom Concurrent Meetings

Using Google Meet, Zoom, etc.)
t0008sa

Re: Zoom Concurrent Meetings

Post by t0008sa »

drepouille wrote:That sounds fine, but if you are going to go through all that trouble, then you could just use a single meeting with breakout rooms. I think that is what we will do. Our Sacrament Zoom meeting will morph into Relief Society for the second hour, and I plan to create a breakout room for elders quorum, so the sisters can stay in the main meeting, while the brethren simply shift into their breakout room. They won't have to leave one meeting and join a second meeting.
That's another option — Won't that require some amount of work to move people to the breakout rooms or to pre-assign them?
swigginton

Post by swigginton »

drepouille wrote:That sounds fine, but if you are going to go through all that trouble, then you could just use a single meeting with breakout rooms. I think that is what we will do. Our Sacrament Zoom meeting will morph into Relief Society for the second hour, and I plan to create a breakout room for elders quorum, so the sisters can stay in the main meeting, while the brethren simply shift into their breakout room. They won't have to leave one meeting and join a second meeting.
That would work, but keep in mind that they need multiple devices and sufficient internet bandwidth if multiple household members are participating in different breakout rooms at the same time.
kjheinz

Post by kjheinz »

Then what is the purpose of a "HOST CODE"? If you have the code can you provide the link and the host code to a member to run the meeting?
swigginton

Post by swigginton »

kjheinz wrote:Then what is the purpose of a "HOST CODE"? If you have the code can you provide the link and the host code to a member to run the meeting?
The host code is linked to the user profile, not to the meeting, so I haven't found any real value for it. It seems like it's intended for use with Zoom hardware. I supposed you could change the host code on a regular basis and provide it to someone to take host responsibilities for a specific meeting without giving them the credentials. Wouldn't be much use for recurring meetings since the code would apply to all meetings across that span of time. I'm interested in hearing if someone has figured out a good way to use it. Seems easier to provide the credentials to those needing host functionality.
SingerGuy

Post by SingerGuy »

I created a post here that addresses these issues and how we are going to deal with it starting next week. I have a laptop and a Chromebook and will simply use one for the adult meetings and the other for the youth meetings. Once people are in their breakout classrooms I don't really need to keep an eye on the "lobby" of each meeting, so I'll go to my own classroom and just keep an eye out on the Chromebook in case something needs my attention. It shouldn't be too hard.
awev

Post by awev »

At the branch where I serve we are able to have up to 100 people in attendance in person, yet we where lucky to have seen even 75 before Covid, and only 35 +/- now during Covid. We do have a good number of households staying home by their own choice. Also, we are not to hold a second hour in person as per our stake in consultation with our area general authority. While we are the only unit to use our building we are in a farming community, spread out over a 45 minute drive in a couple directions.

The problem I have with televising a sacrament service as a meeting is it opens to doors for those watching/listening at home to disrupt things - a newborn infant does not know not to cry, or a dog not to chase the cat. Because of this I think the webinar option is the better choice for the Sunday service. Once everyone gets home, and has had a chance to attend to children and/or chores then we hold our second hour, over a couple hours time.

Right now I am looking to have Primary in one meeting, then the youth in a second that can use the break-out feature in the other meeting, starting in the early afternoon. Then about a hour later the adults will have either Sunday School or EQ and RS meetings. We have some older households that only have one computer for both the husband and wife, so that is still going to pose some problems for holding separate meetings at the same time.

I have much to learn about starting, co-hosting, and break-out rooms, for meetings. While being able to have two concurrent meetings going at the same time is nice, the limit of one licensee per local account does limit on what can be done, by who, and how.

My biggest question - will it let me schedule two meetings to start at the same time?
swigginton

Post by swigginton »

awev wrote:My biggest question - will it let me schedule two meetings to start at the same time?
Yes. The license enforcement is not based on the schedule. Zoom's calendar doesn't care about conflicting meetings. You can schedule as many overlapping meetings as you like, but only 2 can be live at the same time on the Church license. You can even start them earlier or later than scheduled, if you want.
sln29

Post by sln29 »

I was trying to test concurrent meetings. I signed into a first device using the account and starting a meeting. Then, I tried to sign in on a second device using the same credentials. When I did, it signed me out on the first device because of the second sign in. I don't see how two meeting hosts can sign in using the same credentials and run concurrent meetings.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Start the first meeting, select another person (perhaps your personal Zoom account) as the new host, and then leave the meeting. Then you will be free to start the second meeting. I did that last night at our virtual ward party. I selected my wife as the new host, and then left the meeting.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
swigginton

Post by swigginton »

sln29 wrote:I was trying to test concurrent meetings. I signed into a first device using the account and starting a meeting. Then, I tried to sign in on a second device using the same credentials. When I did, it signed me out on the first device because of the second sign in. I don't see how two meeting hosts can sign in using the same credentials and run concurrent meetings.
I just tried it and was able to start 2 webinars or 2 meetings using 2 different devices and using the same credentials on 2 different Windows PCs using the desktop app. Didn't need to assign a different host. However, if I started a webinar and a meeting, it would not let me do both. That appears to be a problem with Zoom. I'll report it and see what they say.

Return to “Interactive Virtual Meetings”