Improving the lighting at the podium

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
taylor.meacham

Improving the lighting at the podium

Post by taylor.meacham »

Hi All, our ward is pretty happy with out setup overall (Zoom webinar-based with pretty cheap webcams at the podium, the organ, and a "roving" camera for special musical numbers and views of the congregation, with audio provided by from the PA system into the laptop running Zoom). We're happy enough not to be looking to make many changes, but I'm always a bit bothered by the washed out look of speakers at the podium. While the lighting is generally diffuse it is still directional, making speakers' eyes dark. Has anyone tried putting a small light at the podium to improve that a bit? I've wondered if improved lighting would also improve the image overall.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Taylor
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Improving the lighting at the podium

Post by russellhltn »

I don't have that issue at my chapel, but I can imagine that many chapels do. The light for the podium comes from the ceiling at quite an angle.

If you try this, I'd suggest making sure the direct light isn't visible to the camera, and that it's the same color temperature as the main light. I'd also keep the light level down so it's more fill than "key" lighting.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”