Members Submitting This Year

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
pinemtn

Members Submitting This Year

Post by pinemtn »

On the Family History Activity Report, what is the basis for the Members Submitting This Year? What is being measured? Is it the number of members who have added people to their FamilySearch Temple file?
davesudweeks

Re: Members Submitting This Year

Post by davesudweeks »

I believe it counts members who printed an ordinance card or submitted a name to the temple. I don't believe it counts members who merely added a name to the familySearch tree. I don't think it counts members who have reserved names for temple work (unless they print the card or submit to the temple).
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

davesudweeks wrote:I believe it counts members who printed an ordinance card or submitted a name to the temple. I don't believe it counts members who merely added a name to the familySearch tree. I don't think it counts members who have reserved names for temple work (unless they print the card or submit to the temple).
This is correct, as far as I understand. "Submitting" a name for temple work means either printing it or sharing it with the temple. These numbers will likely be lower than expected in 2020, not because people weren't doing family history, but because temples were closed. I have some family names ready for temple work, but I haven't printed them yet, so they won't count when it comes to the Members Submitting report for 2020.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I have some waiting as well. But with the Ordinances Ready feature in FamilySearch (and on the app), there is now no reason for anyone to hold on to any family names unless they are personally significant. In the past, once they were submitted to the temple, that was it - they were untouchable. Now, as long as a temple has not printed the cards, you can take them back and do the work. It's a great blessing!
geysser

Post by geysser »

from what I have seen in 2020 and now starting in 2021...........the Family History Report is not being updated. Why? I don't know why. Why produce a report that isn't updated or correct? Esp 'members submitting names'. Then in 2020, the YTD number when down over time. How can it be YTD when it's not an accumulation?

Disappointing.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

geysser wrote:from what I have seen in 2020 and now starting in 2021...........the Family History Report is not being updated. Why? I don't know why. Why produce a report that isn't updated or correct? Esp 'members submitting names'. Then in 2020, the YTD number when down over time. How can it be YTD when it's not an accumulation?

Disappointing.
The Family History Activity Report is updating in my ward. Right now it's updated up to January – I expect that February will show up sometime in the next few weeks.

The cumulative number can go up or down as members who have participated in family history move in or out of the ward. My previous ward was a young single adult ward close to a college campus. Because many students went home over the summer, the cumulative number always went down in the summer, then jumped up in the fall.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

It shows 0 for my ward for January as well. I was just attributing that to the fact that the temples are not doing proxy ordinances (pretty much) currently. My wife and I work on our family history almost every evening, but as we have plenty of names already reserved, we have been finding new ancestors and leaving them in place for someone to pick up when the temples come back to full schedule (or we will go get them if we see a need). So while we are very active in our family history, none of what we are doing shows on that portion of the report.

We were just discussing last evening that we might want to start putting names in the temple file as there was a time where the youth in our area were quite restricted on temple names due to a lack of work to do.

Return to “Family History”