Tools doesn't show Sisters who their Ministering Brothers are

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
justusmitchells1

Tools doesn't show Sisters who their Ministering Brothers are

Post by justusmitchells1 »

I am a Stake Relief Society President and I get many questions why the sisters cannot see who their ministering brothers are. Why is this so?

How do they know who to reach out to or work with in a time of need? If they need a priesthood holder for a priesthood blessing and they do not have the priesthood in their home how do they find out who the ministering brother is. Currently they just call the Bishop. My husband is the Stake Clerk and he does not know why this would be either. He has been a Bishop and thinks all sisters should be able to see who their ministering brothers are too.

I have an iPhone with iOS 14 and tools version 4.2.0 so I don't think my issue is a technology based. In our Stake Relief Society Presidency meeting today my presidency asked about this again. This has been a question from sisters since the ministering program was instituted. Please speak to Priesthood Leaders about this need and that it is a miss in the Tools technology. Thanks! JM
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Tools doesn't show Sisters who their Ministering Brothers are

Post by sbradshaw »

I also have an iPhone with iOS 14 and Member Tools 4.2.0. For me, I'm able to see my ministering brothers by tapping More (bottom right), then tapping my name at the top, then scrolling to the very bottom and tapping on "Ministering." It shows my ministering companion, the people I'm assigned to minister to, and my ministering brothers.

Are you (or the other sisters in your stake) able to get to that "Ministering" screen? If so, what do you see there?

It's possible that the elders quorum presidency hasn't entered ministering information into Leader and Clerk Resources and published it, which is a prerequisite for members to be able to see it.

You could also check at Directory.ChurchofJesusChrist.org, to see if ministering brothers appear there – find your household in the directory, then click on yourself on the household page, then click the Ministering tab.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

My wife is stake primary president, which shouldn't give her any special access to ministering information beyond a regular member. She can see the ministering brothers assigned to our family. We are on Android devices, but I would expect the access should be similar. For those who are reporting they are not seeing who their ministering brothers are, have you confirmed ministering brothers have been assigned? Can you see ministering brothers assigned to your family on the app?

For your members who are on Android (in portrait view), they should go to their family in the directory and then slide the blue bar (between their picture and contact information) until the ministering tab appears (for me, it is off the right side of the screen and appears when I slide the bar to the left). Or, tap on "Callings and Classes" and the bar will slide automatically to reveal the ministering tab.
jeneric

Post by jeneric »

Did anyone figure out why this is happening? Any sister who isn't in a leadership position is unable to see their ministering bothers assigned to them. There seems to be permissions that need to be changed but none of the clerks, ward or stake, seem to understand why this is happening. It's not been verified if this is just on Member Tools or on the website as well and all the sisters who have tested this out have updated, re-installed, etc Member Tools to make sure all things have been updated
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

jeneric wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:37 pm Did anyone figure out why this is happening? Any sister who isn't in a leadership position is unable to see their ministering bothers assigned to them. There seems to be permissions that need to be changed but none of the clerks, ward or stake, seem to understand why this is happening. It's not been verified if this is just on Member Tools or on the website as well and all the sisters who have tested this out have updated, re-installed, etc Member Tools to make sure all things have been updated
My wife can see our ministering brothers. She does have a stake leadership calling, but that does not give her any access beyond what a regular member sees (she cannot see members who have their information marked private, for example, like I can as ward EQP). I suspect the problem is the sisters don't know where to find the information in member tools - some of the steps may not be intuitive. There is also the possibility the sisters don't have ministering brothers assigned or they have not synchronized their data recently.

I will query a couple of sisters in my ward with no leadership calling and ask them if they can see their ministering brothers in Member Tools.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

If it is confirmed the sisters have ministering brothers assigned and they have updated the app and data, I recommend they provide feedback from within Member Tools. That is an official method to report bugs whereas this forum is user-to-user mutual help in an unofficial capacity.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I would also note if they're using the Android or Apple app. This thread is in the iOS section suggesting this might only affect the Apple version of the app.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

As a data point, I checked with 2 sisters in my ward on iOS devices. One is a primary girls activity days leader and the other is a ward missionary - neither are in any ward or stake leadership positions. Both can see the ministering brothers assigned to minister to their families. I did not check what iOS version or Member Tools version they are on.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Factors to consider:
  • Single sister (Sister as head of household)
  • Married sister (Sister as spouse of household)
  • Married sister with non-member husband (Married head of household)
  • Child (Child of household)
  • iOS or Android
It's not usual for a spouse to end up as "child" in a household. That happens if the spouse didn't quite match the marriage record when the household is assembled. In most print-outs, the difference is quite subtle. Perhaps a difference in indenting.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Jimothy

Post by Jimothy »

It depends on the brethren’s visibility settings (Leadership Only, Ward, Stake).
If someone has their records set to Leadership Only then only leaders can see their records.
The same applies for brethren looking up their ministering families, if any families are set to Leadership Only then ministering brethren won’t see them on the app. Which is why I still have to distribute paper lists as an EQP at the moment.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”