Connecting to Liahona WiFi

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
krugerb

Connecting to Liahona WiFi

Post by krugerb »

I've been having trouble connecting to Liahona almost from the beginning. When connecting, the page where you would click 'Accept' to continue to the internet never comes up. A couple of pages are spawned automatically in my browser (chrome) like it's trying to find the acceptance page, but they just show the spinning wheel forever, never resolving. What I have found can get past this is to get it in this state and then connect to my cell phone as a hotspot. Usually, (not every time) this allows the acceptance page(s) (sometimes there ends up two of them) to resolve so I can click the acceptance button. once this is done I can reconnect to Liahona and now use it.

I've been using this process for months now, but it's getting annoying that I have to do a 10 minute dance to connect to the Wifi every week before I can get the Zoom meeting going. I have to do this process with either of the laptops that I typically bring to church. One is my work laptop that could easily have security software and settings that could be blamed for this, but the other is my own person laptop that has nothing more than an anti virus for security. Both are windows 10 pro, and both are Lenovo ThinkPads, though different series models.

My wife has complained similarly about connecting from her phone (Android, not sure what version), finding that she must turn on the wireless data (she typically keeps it off) before the acceptance page will come up on her phone. I've personally given up connecting to the Liahona network with my phone. It's just too much of a pain to put up with for a phone that has another option.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? I know it's not the DNS settings in my computers. That is set to obtain automatically through the DHCP service along with the IP addresses. I tend to think it's a problem with the router not letting the request for the acceptance page through. Like I'm stuck behind a wall asking to come in, but I can't ask without being allowed on the other side of the wall.
Attachments
LDS WiFi Spinning Wheels.png
Example of tabs generated automatically while trying to connect to Liahona.
(29.14 KiB) Not downloaded yet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Connecting to Liahona WiFi

Post by russellhltn »

What happens if the first site you try to go to is a church site, like the main page churchofjesuschrist.org?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I've given up trying to connect my laptop to Liahona, the splash page never comes up, and I've tried a myriad of suggestions I've seen shared here on the Forum ever since the authentication was first implemented. Nobody else in our unit seems to have issues connecting their laptops, and since I am lucky enough to have a cellphone wifi hotspot, I simply use that. But I remain hopeful that eventually somebody's solution will also work for me!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BrianEdwards wrote:I've given up trying to connect my laptop to Liahona, the splash page never comes up,
Your laptop wouldn't be a Mac, would it? Those seem to have troubles for some reason.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Dell 7530. It does have VPN and other things installed, nothing out of the ordinary, but one of which is likely the culprit.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

BrianEdwards wrote:Dell 7530. It does have VPN and other things installed, nothing out of the ordinary, but one of which is likely the culprit.
Try turning the VPN off. It is most likely interfering with you getting the splash screen. Your VPN server is getting the splash screen but it is not being passed on to you. With the VPN off you can receive and acknowledge the splash screen. Then if your VPN service supports it and plays well with the church firewall you can turn it back on to continue your Internet connection. Otherwise you will have to leave the VPN off when using the Liahona network.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Try turning the VPN off.
Agreed.

It's possible that VPNs are filtered out, since they bypass any restrictions.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I tried the VPN approach again on Sunday, no luck. Might be a 'user issue', but I believe I successfully turned off the VPN and then tried a variety of ways to get the Liahona splash screen.

Note: I've even tried using "Lehi", but I can't get an internet connection (although it does successfully connect using the password the Stake supplied). Again, I'm thinking it's just not liking my laptop...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BrianEdwards wrote:Note: I've even tried using "Lehi", but I can't get an internet connection (although it does successfully connect using the password the Stake supplied). Again, I'm thinking it's just not liking my laptop...
Is the DNS set to "automatic" or something else? The church only supports the DNS they supply.

krugerb

Post by krugerb »

russellhltn wrote:What happens if the first site you try to go to is a church site, like the main page churchofjesuschrist.org?
I've tried visiting church websites while waiting for the "agree to terms" page, and they don't resolve either.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”