Connecting to Liahona WiFi

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
tannerlex

Re: Connecting to Liahona WiFi

Post by tannerlex »

I also have this issue currently. I'm using a Ubuntu 18 laptop. I never get the splash "continue to internet" page. I have not had this kind of issue at hotels which share a similar method.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd make sure you're using the DNS provided by the network and not some other - perhaps as some kind of performance improvement or filtering. It's possible the hotel systems are intercepting DNS calls instead of blocking them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
if009

Post by if009 »

Were you able to get the captive portal detection to work? If not try resetting the NIC
riffr49

Post by riffr49 »

I had this same issue today and was able to finally connect by allowing pop ups. Because they were disabled they page that opens up where you connect to the internet was never opening. Once I went into my settings in Chrome and did that I was able to connect. There is also a way you can block all pop up except from approved sites. You should see it in the settings when you go to enable pop ups. Hope this helps
jcluff47

Post by jcluff47 »

For those on Mac, this worked for me:
  • Click the Apple icon in top left
  • Select System Preferences
  • Select Network
  • Select Wi-Fi
  • Click "Advanced"
  • Select the "DNS" tab
  • Make sure there is no entry there that is not greyed out; the font will look white if there is an existing entry. The church configures their own DNS addresses when you connect to their network. If it is working properly you should probably see two greyed out IP addresses. In my case they were 8.34.34.101 and 8.35.35.101. What I found was that I had a permanent DNS entry that I had previously setup.
  • To delete the address simply click on the entry and click the "-" (minus) button.
  • Click OK
Once I did all of that it popped up the splash screen. Hopefully this helps someone.
Last edited by jcluff47 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
milnerm1

Post by milnerm1 »

I have an older Mac (2011), and have the symptom where the authentication screen never appears after the WiFi connects. The following works for me:

- Open Safari.
- Open an incognito window.
- Browse to captive.apple.com.

This loads the elusive, “Continue to the Internet” screen.

Hopefully this can be useful to someone.
KyleHar9

Post by KyleHar9 »

milnerm1 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:28 pm I have an older Mac (2011), and have the symptom where the authentication screen never appears after the WiFi connects. The following works for me:

- Open Safari.
- Open an incognito window.
- Browse to captive.apple.com.

This loads the elusive, “Continue to the Internet” screen.

Hopefully this can be useful to someone.
This did the trick for me (I did it on Chrome instead though). Was previously restarting my Macbook Pro every time in order to properly have the TOU page appear. Thanks for posting, cheers
jmalmber@ualberta.ca

Post by jmalmber@ualberta.ca »

The DNS trick worked for me. Previously had 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in place, but removing those helped
karenst

Post by karenst »

BrianEdwards wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:20 pm I've given up trying to connect my laptop to Liahona, the splash page never comes up, and I've tried a myriad of suggestions I've seen shared here on the Forum ever since the authentication was first implemented. Nobody else in our unit seems to have issues connecting their laptops, and since I am lucky enough to have a cellphone wifi hotspot, I simply use that. But I remain hopeful that eventually somebody's solution will also work for me!
The easiest solution is to have 2 internet browsers in your computer. When Chrome doesn't pop up the sign in WiFi website, then Mozilla Firefox does work.
Try it I promise it will give you result👍
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Just to tie up my loose ends, my laptop hard drive crashed a while ago, and after installing a new hard drive, the problem went away. I didn't do the task myself (my IT skills are woefully lacking), but something in the changeover caused my laptop to now connect flawlessly to Liahona. So unfortunately although I had tried Chrome, IE, and Edge, I cannot verify if the Firefox suggestion would have been the magic bullet!

Return to “Other Member Technologies”