Building Scheduler - trying to understand Order of Operation

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
casper684

Re: Building Scheduler - trying to understand Order of Operation

Post by casper684 »

This site is great. Sure do appreciate the feedback and will definitely discuss a few more options. You have opened my eyes to a few things I had not considered. Our timeline starts in October and we open for private events in January of the current year.

To clarify - A private event is scheduled on the BUILDING location calendar and members would not even see the activity UNLESS they subscribed to the building calendar OR if it happens to be the building they attend?

Is the building location calendar also where you would post member requested sporting events like pickleball play?

Thank you so much.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

For us, we created a "Private Events" calendar within the Stake calendars but it is only edited by myself and the Stake Presidency (who never actually touch it) and viewable by those folks and a select few others like the Stake Clerks. I guess we could have used the building calendars but we wanted to lock them down.

By the way, to my previous post...I have had 9 building requests today since it is March 1 for Mission/Family reunions, Thanksgiving, and a 90th birthday party.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

casper684 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:27 pm To clarify - A private event is scheduled on the BUILDING location calendar
You could, but I'm not sure as it's the best plan.
casper684 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:27 pm and members would not even see the activity UNLESS they subscribed to the building calendar OR if it happens to be the building they attend?
I don't think you can subscribe to it. Any anyone can see any building in the stake.

If you put it on a private calendar, then members without viewing rights would only see that it's busy. I don't think they can see the "why".
casper684 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:27 pm Is the building location calendar also where you would post member requested sporting events like pickleball play?
You could, but that's probably not what I'd do. I'd try to locate a calendar that's a better fit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

russellhltn wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:06 pm
If you put it on a private calendar, then members without viewing rights would only see that it's busy. I don't think they can see the "why".
This is correct and why we do it the way that we do. It shows the building and resources are blocked but does not show the title/description
casper684

Post by casper684 »

Ahh so that is my hangup. In my stake the private events calendar is viewable to any member that subscribes.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

We took the word "Private" a little more seriously, I guess
casper684

Post by casper684 »

So who exactly has access to the private events calendar in your stake?
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

I, as the Stake Building Scheduler, am the person that actually enters any events on the calendar. Technically, any member of the Stake Presidency can but they never do...they have me do anything they need. Since they can enter items, they can see what actually scheduled. The Stake Clerks (by calling) can also see what is on the calendar. Anyone else in the Stake just sees that it is a Private Event.
jeb781

Post by jeb781 »

Here is a link to the Building Schedulers "Roles and Responsibilities" https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... lang=eng#d

Last Updated: 27 February 2019 at 13:14

Role and Responsibilities
A stake calendar administrator, such as the stake clerk or stake executive secretary, assigns building schedulers in the calendar system to oversee locations. It is not enough to put their calling in Leader and Clerk Resources (LCR). The building scheduler must be assigned to a specific building using the Locations and Rooms option in the calendar. To check if you have been properly set up as a building scheduler, click on the building name in the calendar’s left panel. You should see your name.

Building schedulers are responsible for overseeing events related to their assigned location, but they do not schedule stake or ward events. The stake and ward calendar editors schedule their own events and reserve the needed building and rooms without contacting the building scheduler. If the building scheduler schedules events directly on the building calendar, it will indeed reserve the building, but the events will not be seen on the stake or ward calendars, on the LDS Tools mobile app, or on third-party calendars that sync events. If members ask building schedulers to schedule the building for Church events, schedulers should encourage the members to instead contact a stake or ward calendar editor to create an event on a stake or ward calendar, which also reserves the building.

At times the building scheduler will create events on the building calendar that are not associated with events on stake or ward calendars, such as family events, facilities work, and so on.

Building schedulers monitor the events being scheduled and make sure they conform to handbook and other local building policies. They can help resolve scheduling conflicts. They have the ability to make appropriate changes to events associated with the building, even events on stake and ward calendars, assisting the editors of the various calendars.

Creating Building Events
Building calendars display all events scheduled in the building, even from multiple wards. Viewing them helps calendar editors find available time slots for their events. Building schedulers create events on building calendars that are not associated with a stake or ward calendar. In rare cases, they also make use of calendar restrictions. A building scheduler creates an event or restriction the same way a calendar editor does but instead selects the building calendar.

Managing Building Restrictions
Warning: Restrictions are not building events. A restriction limits the use of a building or rooms to one specific unit to prevent other units from using the building or rooms during that time. Restrictions should be used only if they are clearly understood. Extensive experience has shown it is better to simply get agreement from multiple wards concerning what evenings or times are reserved for a particular ward rather than rely on calendar restrictions, which can be confusing and can be input incorrectly by building schedulers. New building schedulers usually do not know that the former scheduler created a restriction, causing more confusion. Use restrictions only if they are absolutely necessary and well understood.

The unit that is not restricted can still schedule events during that period, but it is still on a first-come-first-served basis by creating events on that unit’s calendar. Restrictions cannot be used to reserve a building or room for an event. For example: At the request of the Young Women, the building scheduler places a restriction on the cultural hall for unit A. But the Young Men schedule an event for the cultural hall at the same time. They are able to do so because they are also from unit A. The restriction prevents only other units from scheduling an event; it cannot restrict other groups from the same unit. An event, on the other hand, blocks all other uses during that time.

A building scheduler can create a restriction even if there is already a conflicting event scheduled at that time. This allows a building scheduler to create repeating events, even if an occasional event conflicts with the repeating time. The building scheduler can then edit the restriction occurrence that conflicts with the scheduled event or have the conflicting ward reschedule their event.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

That’s a nice set of guidelines, I just follow the directives of my Stake President.

Return to “Calendar”