Permission to attend ward you don't live in

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Davehallbyu

Permission to attend ward you don't live in

Post by Davehallbyu »

I seem to recall that permission from the First Presidency was required to have one's membership record kept in a ward in which you do not live. If so, how do we go about getting that permission? I'm the stake clerk and have been asked by the stake president to find out how to go about this on behalf of a member in our stake; we haven't been able to find an application form related to this. Does the member simply write a letter to the First Presidency and mail it in?

Thanks
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Permission to attend ward you don't live in

Post by sbradshaw »

From the General Handbook, 33.6:
Exceptions, which should be few, require the consent of the bishops and stake president(s) involved and the approval of the Office of the First Presidency. To request an exception, the stake president(s) sends a letter to the Office of the First Presidency for approval.
So, both bishops and both stake presidents (if the wards are in different stakes) should consult together, and it's the stake president(s) who need to send a letter to the Office of the First Presidency.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Somewhere in the dim recesses of my memory, I think there was something about an option in LCR for the stake president to do that.

I'd have the stake president check his LCR options before firing up the word processor.

The stake clerk may not have access. The best he could do is see if there's any hints in the LCR Access Table.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

According to the Leader and Clerk Resources Access Table, there's an "Application to the First Presidency" tool that's available only to the stake president and the bishop (not counselors, clerks, or executive secretaries). The tool can be used for applications for sealing cancelations, for example – I'm not sure if it would be used for other requests, too, like this one. As russellhltn mentions, it's worth a try for the stake president to log in and see what he sees. :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:The ["Application to the First Presidency"] tool can be used for applications for sealing cancelations, for example – I'm not sure if it would be used for other requests, too, like this one.
This is not something that would require the use of an Application to the First Presidency. When the General Handbook says the stake president sends a letter to the First Presidency to make the request, it means he gets out the stake letterhead and types (or prints) up a letter requesting approval. No special form is required.
cmwarner03

Post by cmwarner03 »

The request to the first presidency should be sent using LCR. See handbook 33.6.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

cmwarner03 wrote: The request to the first presidency should be sent using LCR. See handbook 33.6.
Good catch, thank you. I suppose "send a letter" is missing from most places in the General Handbook now that automation is available. Makes sense.
johnrlongii

Post by johnrlongii »

Can anyone provide additional direction in the following situation:

A member is building a new house in Ward A, but they are temporarily living in Ward B while the house is being built.

At what point during the building process can or should the membership record be transferred into Ward A? Could an Out-of-Unit Membership Record (Handbook Section 33.6.5) be used to allow the member to attend Ward A and receive a calling during the construction process?

Thank you in advance for any help or insight. We live in an area with lots of new construction and a lot of members wish to move their records into our ward prior to their home being completed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnrlongii wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:14 am Can anyone provide additional direction in the following situation:

A member is building a new house in Ward A, but they are temporarily living in Ward B while the house is being built.
In situations like this, I like to carefully read the Handbook:
General Handbook 33.6 wrote: Membership records should be kept in the ward where the member lives. Exceptions, which should be rare, require the consent of the bishops and stake presidents involved. To request an exception, the stake president uses LCR to submit the request to the Office of the First Presidency.
General Handbook 33.6.4 wrote: Ward leaders, ministering brothers and sisters, and clerks obtain the new addresses of members as soon as they become aware that members intend to move out of the ward. The clerk moves the records to the new ward when the members actually move.
When a person moves from a ward for more than three months, a clerk moves the membership record to the new ward unless the member intends to return after leaving for temporary or seasonal employment or schooling that may last longer than three months.
Of course, there's always this:
General Handbook 0.4 wrote: If leaders have questions about information in this handbook or about issues it does not address, they counsel with their immediate presiding authority.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
darrell.zaugg

How to make a request through the Office of the First Presidency - Transfer records to another unti

Post by darrell.zaugg »

I would like to make a request to the Office of the First Presidency. I am a Stake President, and the handbook states I should make the request, but I do not know how to. Thank you for your help.
[email removed]
Last edited by russellhltn on Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal information - this is a public form

Return to “Membership Help”