Permission to attend ward you don't live in

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How to make a request through the Office of the First Presidency - Transfer records to another unti

Post by russellhltn »

darrell.zaugg wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:58 am I would like to make a request to the Office of the First Presidency. I am a Stake President, and the handbook states I should make the request, but I do not know how to.
According to an old post: It's in LCR under Membership > Confidential
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Re: Permission to attend ward you don't live in

Post by BrianEdwards »

darrell.zaugg, if the reference provided by russellhltn works for you, could you confirm? My understanding is that for Bishops, this link only allows them to access requests regarding sealing cancellations or membership councils, but nothing is there for out-of-boundary applications (which makes sense since it's the SP and not Bishop who has stewardship for that). As seen in the thread, there's uncertainty whether this functionality is currently available for Stake Presidents in LCR. So if you can provide feedback, that would help clarify if it's actually there or not.
kkolling

Post by kkolling »

The email to use is this boundaryexception@churchofjesuschrist.org

no need to pull out letterhead and write a letter, who does that anymore?
mpeterson001

Post by mpeterson001 »

When a stake president clicks on “Application to the First Presidency”, they receive the following message: “ Only bishops and branch presidents may initiate an application to the First Presidency”. It appears that there is no way in LCR to submit a request for someone to attend a unit they do not reside in through LCR.

[Moderator Note: Attachment deleted due to identifying information.]
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mpeterson001 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:16 pm It appears that there is no way in LCR to submit a request for someone to attend a unit they do not reside in through LCR.
Is the bishop where the membership record is held currently able to initiate the request? Both bishops and stake presidents have to approve it. The bishop would consent to it. Then his stake president would submit the exception request through LCR to the First Presidency.
mpeterson001

Post by mpeterson001 »

I am the stake president. The bishop does not have an option to submit an application for a member to attend a different ward than the one they live in. Please see the screenshot from the bishop showing the options he can select from when submitting an application.
Screenshot of bishop’s options
Screenshot of bishop’s options
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I would contact the Global Services Desk. General Handbook 33.6 makes it quite clear the Stake President is to use LCR to submit the request.

If it's not appearing in your screen, then LCR is not in compliance with the Handbook.

You could try using incognito/private mode in the browser as there has been a number of odd issues that will fix.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jlmerrill

Post by jlmerrill »

As killing said and per Global Services this morning, simply have the stake president send an email to boundaryexception@churchofjesuschrist.org with the member record(s), details, and recommendation.

Global Services said that there will be a "boundary exception" option in LCR, but doesn't appear to be live yet. So send email in the meantime.

Return to “Membership Help”