Notice to STS - Using Zoom Webinars...

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
vlc22

Re: Notice to STS - Using Zoom Webinars...

Post by vlc22 »

I figured I would post my experience with this.

I completed disagree with this statement from the document: "All meetings (interactive and noninteractive) will use a single platform that members are familiar with." Members are much more familiar with the Meetinghouse Webcast or YouTube than Zoom. I think members of our Stake might even be more familiar with Google Meet since the school district uses Google Meet.

A few of our wards have used the Zoom webinar for the first hour worship service. For the most part, they have not gone well. I have finally figured out that the iPods which he have been using with the Meetinghouse Webcast do not meet the minimal requirements for hosting a Zoom webinar. The newest iPods are the equivalent of an iPhone 7 (A10 chip), and the minimal requirements are an iPhone 8 (A11 chip). This means that we will need to use a moderator pc and use the the iPod as a panelist.

I feel like YouTube is the more cost effective solution for us, but I have a problem with the distracting YouTube user interface (UI).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

vlc22 wrote: I have finally figured out that the iPods which he have been using with the Meetinghouse Webcast do not meet the minimal requirements for hosting a Zoom webinar. The newest iPods are the equivalent of an iPhone 7 (A10 chip), and the minimal requirements are an iPhone 8 (A11 chip). This means that we will need to use a moderator pc and use the the iPod as a panelist.
Interesting. I assume that Zoom has documented that somewhere? It would be good to know. I took a quick look but didn't see anything that would indicate a different requirement depending on role.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
vlc22

Post by vlc22 »

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That's listed as "System requirements for Virtual Background". That might be important for all-virtual, but probably not for those live-streaming a in-person session.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
vlc22

Post by vlc22 »

I just realized that after I posted it. Regardless, we have had nothing but problems in trying to host a Zoom webinar on an iPod. One ward has been more successful by hosting on a laptop and using the iPod as a panelist.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

vlc22 wrote:Regardless, we have had nothing but problems in trying to host a Zoom webinar on an iPod. One ward has been more successful by hosting on a laptop and using the iPod as a panelist.
I'm wondering why that would make a difference. I wouldn't think hosting would add that much load on the device.

Keep in mind, the problems could be related to what else is going on on the network. If another ward is zooming a live second hour meeting or ward council meeting, that would impact the available bandwidth at the chapel.

Also, with zoom, you may have different settings in play if you log into zoom prior to joining instead of joining without logging in.

vlc22

Post by vlc22 »

Yes, I am aware of all this. I have been trying to figure out ways to get better audio and QoS with Zoom for weeks.

The bottom line is that any little thing can cause problems with Zoom QoS. The Meeting Webcast and YouTube do not have these stability issues. I am trying to figure out how to make the Zoom webinar work, but it is a lousy platform to work with.
vlc22

Post by vlc22 »

I don't know for sure, and I might be wrong, but I think hosting adds quite a bit of load to the device. It needs to keep track of a lot more than if it just needs to send audio/video signals.

Obviously, hardware has a lot to do with QoS. This is why there is huge variance in the quality of Zoom calls, meetings, and hardware.
vlc22

Post by vlc22 »

russellhltn wrote:
That's listed as "System requirements for Virtual Background". That might be important for all-virtual, but probably not for those live-streaming a in-person session.

I fail to see how hardware requirements would be any different for all-virtual and a live stream from a central location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

vlc22 wrote:I fail to see how hardware requirements would be any different for all-virtual and a live stream from a central location.
All-virtual: You're working from home and want a better background that reflects the mood you're trying to convey. So virtual background is enabled.

Live-stream from chapel: No virtual background. Show the actual chapel.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”