Youth Driving Youth

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
DSpray

Youth Driving Youth

Postby DSpray » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:36 am

We have a situation where a young man just got his drivers license. He lives in a remote area and lives right down the street from several other young men that need rides. Is it appropriate for him to give them rides to YM/YW meetings? I cannot find anything in the handbook concerning youth driving youth to church meetings. He is not 18. I have always been told that youth cannot drive youth unless they are siblings. Is this anywhere in the handbook? I could not find anything.

Regards!

lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Youth Driving Youth

Postby lajackson » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:00 am

DSpray wrote:I cannot find anything in the handbook concerning youth driving youth to church meetings. He is not 18. I have always been told that youth cannot drive youth unless they are siblings. Is this anywhere in the handbook? I could not find anything.

No, it is not in the General Handbook, but it is a common local policy. Parental approval is required for all youth activities and only insured adults drive to activities outside the local area. Those are the Handbook guidelines.

The situation you describe would be a matter for parents to decide and the bishop may well have counsel for them to consider. Would the parents of the new driver want their own children to ride with him? How are they getting to the church now? A better solution might be for parents to take turns carpooling to mutual activities.

I would be very uncomfortable allowing my children to ride with a newly licensed teenage driver. Convenience would not override that decision.

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Postby scgallafent » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:33 am

Some states have a graduated licensing system that would preclude what you are describing. In those states, there are restrictions imposed on newly licensed drivers that may restrict who they are allowed to have as passengers, how many passengers they are allowed to have, and when they are allowed to drive. You may want to check and see if that applies in your state.

As lajackson said, transportation to and from a Church activity is a matter for the parents to decide.

BrianEdwards

Postby BrianEdwards » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:29 pm

For those of us with early-morning seminary (where the church building or meeting place is miles from the various High Schools in the ward), this is often an "anxiously-awaited" occasion, for parents who either would rather not, or really cannot, drive to/from seminary every morning. And it's always a matter the parents decide, gratefully the GHB provides this flexibility. I think Bishops respect parental decisions unless they feel they need to intercede (physical/emotional/etc safety).

Return to “General Discussions”