New AV System

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
Wattsuk

Re: New AV System

Post by Wattsuk »

You're probably right on the level. Balanced outputs typically sit in the range of +20 to +30dbV whereas taking the signal passively in an unbalanced approach will cause a -6dbV to -10dbV drop so still more than enough for amateur audio production.

The issue that may be more relevant is the ground noise.
Especially with power supply noises in PC's and even worse if they are using a laptop with some of their associated transformers.

I've wrestled with this in the past and an active converter or mixer is the safest and easiest way to overcome the ground noise issues in most cases.
shanedyork

Post by shanedyork »

Thank everyone for the help so far. I grabbed a 30 buck xlr to usb converter of Amazon and will try that and also will try the ground and hot only cables. This makes for sense to me now. Regarding the output ports needing to be configured, I can just double up on one of the current ports being used right?
tmilne

Post by tmilne »

Many are not answering my original question. I'm not interested in the sound signal (we run that through a sound board anyway), what I want to do is send a digital to the extron switch controller so we don't have to manually make a selection with the buttons on the front of the switcher.

That said, we did find workarounds for all of the above, so this is no longer as critical.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

shanedyork wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:33 am Regarding the output ports needing to be configured, I can just double up on one of the current ports being used right?
It depends on what kind of load your device puts on the unit. It could lower the volume.

As for your adapter, make sure it can handle line-in and isn't mic level only.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”