Associating Tithing with LDS ACCOUNT

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Enigma1 wrote:If this was associated with LDS Account it would be reflected on that account no matter what ward you visit or how long you are there (MRN can be tied into the lds account).
Right, but the member needs to remember the membership number or the clerk has to seek them out for that info, because there's no spot on the tithing sleep for writing in your MRN. For a temporary visit to a ward, the donation is likely to not get tied to the member.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Enigma1 wrote:If this was associated with LDS Account it would be reflected on that account no matter what ward you visit or how long you are there (MRN can be tied into the lds account).
Uh, I don't get it. Currently, if I visit a ward and make a donation, the ward processing my check (or cash) doesn't have my membership number or LDS Access account to associate my locally processed donation with my account.

I see this working fine for on-line donations.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Enigma1-p40

Post by Enigma1-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:Uh, I don't get it. Currently, if I visit a ward and make a donation, the ward processing my check (or cash) doesn't have my membership number or LDS Access account to associate my locally processed donation with my account.
if you sign up for an LDS account you can tie it to your MRN, this (at this moment) doesnt affect you as a member, or your tithing payment habits. But it has the possibility in the future to be universal because everything is becoming tied into your LDSA.

does that make sense?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Enigma1 wrote:But it has the possibility in the future to be universal because everything is becoming tied into your LDSA.
That part I understand. But it would require a change in how wards process visitor's donations to tie them in. I'm not sure how big an issue that will be.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

RussellHltn wrote:That part I understand. But it would require a change in how wards process visitor's donations to tie them in.
Including donations from family and friends from far away units to support a missionary. These (like other visitor donations) are never tied to a specific MRN, but are tracked by name/address only so the year-end donation forms can be mailed.

Like Russell mentioned ealier, I also would have concerns regarding the vulnerability of the data on line like that.
Enigma1-p40

Post by Enigma1-p40 »

Mikerowaved wrote:
Like Russell mentioned ealier, I also would have concerns regarding the vulnerability of the data on line like that.

Maybe I'm not following 120% but what would the difference be between having that information online and using online banking during the month?

if you are talking about the sensitivity of one's MRN and C. Date, those are valid concerns, i'm sure that if we went to something huge like financial data online the church would implement another safety feature to protect against social engineering attacks.
jeromer7

Organized or Not Organized

Post by jeromer7 »

Enigma1 wrote:I always have hated going in at the end of the year to tithing settlement and saying "Gee... this looks about right..." but not being completely certain that everything was entered in 100% correctly.
Getting back to the original question... As a finance clerk and as a bishop I ran into this scenario all too often during tithing settlement.

Because of this experience, I started keeping my yellow copies and tracking the information. For several years now, I take my tracking report to tithing settlement. It shows each donation and totals for each category. It is then very easy to check the MLS report I am provided before visiting with the bishop. I believe I am the exception rather than the rule.

There would be some value to me to be able to verify my data vs the MLS data periodically throughout the year, but I don't see where making this information available is going to change people's habits. If they aren't tracking it now...
JLR
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JLRose wrote:There would be some value to me to be able to verify my data vs the MLS data periodically throughout the year, but I don't see where making this information available is going to change people's habits. If they aren't tracking it now...
Those who are fastidious about tracking their donations throughout the year are welcome to ask the financial clerk at any time for a YTD donation statement.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Another issue is that currently MLS can only tie a donation to a single MRN. Which creates an issue for those who donate as husband and wife.

Bottom line, it's nice, but there are significant infrastructure changes that would have to be made.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Enigma1 wrote:...what would the difference be between having that information online and using online banking during the month?
That's my point exactly. Here's a good blog posted earlier today that echos my concerns about ANY confidential data placed on the Internet.

OK, I can put my money in a mattress and my head in the sand, but that's not what I'm talking about. Yes, I still bank online. I very much enjoy the instant visibility of my accounts and the free bill-pay service I'm offered. I also consider myself to be way above average in locking down my OS's from any and all malware as well.

I don't know. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if some "outsider" were to peek at my donation history. It's just I don't think people OR corporations realize how unsafe anything is on the I'net nowadays, and it seems to be getting worse, not better.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”