I-tithe???

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

boomerbubba wrote:The way I read the Wiki article on BillPay, church headquarters will also send an annual tax statement, so the 12 monthly receipts might not be absolutely necessary for tax documentation:

(Of course, you would also have your own bank records, too. . . .)
Ok then, two receipts. And the number of receipts is not an issue for me (except that I do not need more than one, if that is possible).

I do not use financial software, but with the amounts I contribute, I am required to have the tax statement from the Church anyway, so it does not really matter.

Ideally, I would like to be able to contribute electronically, have the funds the ward needs credited to them, and get a receipt for tax purposes at the end of the year.

We are not quite there, yet.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

boomerbubba wrote:I wonder why the BillPay option is not more widely publicized. Is there any reason why we should not disseminate the BillPay instructions more proactively to members?
I can't say why it's not publicized, but the fact remains that it isn't. To be on the safe side, one can assume there is likely reasons for this. It's obviously available, but not widely advertised. My personal opinion is that we should take the same stance, until told otherwise. If it comes up in casual conversation with another individual, it's probably fine to inform them of the option and how you did it. But I would personally not go so far as to "disseminate the BillPay instructions more proactively to the members." At least not until there is a definite nod of approval from Church Headquarters.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

mkmurray wrote:I can't say why it's not publicized, but the fact remains that it isn't. To be on the safe side, one can assume there is likely reasons for this. It's obviously available, but not widely advertised. My personal opinion is that we should take the same stance, until told otherwise. If it comes up in casual conversation with another individual, it's probably fine to inform them of the option and how you did it. But I would personally not go so far as to "disseminate the BillPay instructions more proactively to the members." At least not until there is a definite nod of approval from Church Headquarters.

I'm inclined to propose the question and kick it up the proper line of authority: Is there a reason not to advertise this capability within our unit?

I will make sure my bishop is informed of the information in this thread, and propose the question to him. If he likes the idea but is not sure, he can ask the stake.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:I can't say why it's not publicized, but the fact remains that it isn't. To be on the safe side, one can assume there is likely reasons for this. It's obviously available, but not widely advertised. My personal opinion is that we should take the same stance, until told otherwise. If it comes up in casual conversation with another individual, it's probably fine to inform them of the option and how you did it. But I would personally not go so far as to "disseminate the BillPay instructions more proactively to the members." At least not until there is a definite nod of approval from Church Headquarters.
I would agree with that. I'm not really comfortable in normal situations about asking lower leaders for permission to disseminate the information as that appears to have been a decision made at a higher level.

If the ward had an exceptional situation where it was difficult to for the members to donate on a regular basis, then I would consider it. But not for typical wards or stakes.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I would agree with that. I'm not really comfortable in normal situations about asking lower leaders for permission to disseminate the information as that appears to have been a decision made at a higher level.

I would disagree. You're simply making assumptions about a decision having been made, when there is no actual evidence about such a decision.

On the contrary, the Church Donations Department reached out to the managers of the LDSClerks wiki (where this information first appeared), and supplied forms and instructional documents, knowing full well that the information on the wiki was completely public. I had several interactions with a couple of very nice people in the Donations Department. I was grateful to them for their help, and they were grateful to me for organizing and publishing the information.

So I see no problem with members taking advantage of the capabilities that the Church has provided, nor any reason why a ward cannot publicize this option. If the Church didn't want people to use it, they would not make it available. Yes, that's an assumption on my part, but it seems a lot more reasonable than assuming that the Church went to all the effort to make forms and instructions for a specific purpose but really doesn't want anyone to take advantage of it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There's a difference between making something available and publicizing it. Admittedly I'm taking a conservative approach. If I'm wrong, it can easily be fixed by publishing it. But if you publicize when it shouldn't be - that genie isn't going back into the bottle.

The donation department worked with you knowing it was going to a site frequented by clerks. So I think it's fair to say that it be made available to those who need it. But to go as far as announcing it to the ward - I think I'd make a phone call to SLC first.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:There's a difference between making something available and publicizing it.
True. Because we have hundreds of service members deployed to countries where it is not possible to mail a check home and expect it to get there before they return, we proactively give them this information before they deploy.

They can pay their tithes and offerings safely and electronically, and their local group leader does not care if he gets credit for fast offerings and missionary fund, because he has no need in those areas.

But we do not actively publicize it to those who stay behind in the regular wards and branches.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:The donation department worked with you knowing it was going to a site frequented by clerks. So I think it's fair to say that it be made available to those who need it. But to go as far as announcing it to the ward - I think I'd make a phone call to SLC first.
Although I still don't agree with your speculations, I do agree that getting a more definitive answer would be helpful. So I have sent a message to my contacts in the Donations Department. Hopefully I should have a response in the next few days, which I will share here.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:So I have sent a message to my contacts in the Donations Department. Hopefully I should have a response in the next few days, which I will share here.
Excellent - I'm all for removing speculation.

scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

My payroll is not a monthly event, but fast offerings & missionary payments are. Therefore, every payday my bank electronically makes my tithing payments. I cut a real check to hand to the bishopric monthly.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”