I-tithe???

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

atticusewig wrote:In my ward, we had someone who donated directly to CHQ, and their Fast Offering Donation appeared on the Church Unit Financial Statement. It requires an extra step when reconciling the bank statement ( I forgot the exact procedure, the donor now donates directly to the ward), but the Fast Offerings are credited to the ward. I haven't looked at such a donation for a while, but I believe the donor is not listed by name.
What you report is correct for some kinds of donations, but not for others. The wiki has the details. Specifically, if you make Electronic Donations via BillPay, there is no way to direct Fast Offering or Ward Missionary donations to the local unit. However, if you make Donations in Kind or other Donations to Church Headquarters, you can specify that Fast Offering and Ward Missionary donations are to be sent to your local unit. The situation you report must have been one of these latter types (In Kind, Wire, Check) and not BillPay.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

oregonmatt wrote:Your financial clerk (and bishop) would greatly appreciate you doing this step yourself. Having the bishop (or clerk) do it eliminates one of the points of verification that things were input correctly (and we are human). Simply handing in a tithing envelope with a filled-out slip (and a notation that the check came by billpay) would be sufficient.
Since I have to process those donations, and I personally want to use bill pay, I have the check made out to the ward but mailed to me. When it arrives, I fill out my own donation slip and put the the billpay check with it (sans mailing perfory). While that might not seem much different from just handwriting the check there are some benefits: (1) I don't have to order or use check stock personally, (2) the check won't bounce because the funds have already be withdrawn from my account by the time it reaches me, and (3) I haven't created extra work for others processing donations.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jbh001 wrote:Since I have to process those donations, and I personally want to use bill pay, I have the check made out to the ward but mailed to me. When it arrives, I fill out my own donations slip and put the the billpay check with it. While that might not seem like much different from just handwriting the check there are some benefits: (1) I don't have to order or use check stock personally, and (2) the check won't bounce because the funds have already be withdrawn from my account by the time it reaches me.
Good idea. Another benefit, for those who are paid a regular amount and whose Bill Pay service allows for recurring payments, is that an automatic payment can be set up, which will help you to make regular payments.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jbh001 wrote:I have the check made out to the ward but mailed to me. When it arrives, I fill out my own donation slip and put the the billpay check with it.
I have decided that this is the way I would do it if I did it. This way, the bishopric and clerks do not have extra work filling out donation slips. The donation is just the same as any other that comes through the clerk's office.

And the ward missionary fund gets credited as needed.
brandonreed08

Re: I-tithe???

Post by brandonreed08 »

I suggested a similar idea just recently. Hopefully it will be implemented soon. Sending it from your bank through their bill pay is a nice option but the paper trail is difficult to establish for the wards and stakes. Having a customized online system through the church's site and/or app would be more efficient and likely well received by the membership.

If they added an option for automatic payments each month it would likely increase the amount of tithing/offerings the church received and aid the members in following the commandments. Whether I have to decide each month what I am going to pay in offerings or decide in one day what I am going to pay each month through an online system really shouldn't matter. Both require faith, but one is more susceptible to mistakes and human frailties.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”