FHC ERR_TUNNEL_CONNECTION_FAILED

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
superdave98

Re: FHC ERR_TUNNEL_CONNECTION_FAILED

Post by superdave98 »

Good suggestions Russell. We have 4. There are two listed in the CDOL at the top and two more listed below in the pays bills for section. The one closest to me is in the same city as the Stake Center and it’s listed at the top.

I didn’t realize until today that Family History support was open on Saturday. I ended up talking to them and found out they have at least 6 other FHCs with the same issue. At least I’m not the only one. They’re working on the issue and hopefully will have an answer for me next week.

Dave
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

superdave98 wrote:Good suggestions Russell. We have 4. There are two listed in the CDOL at the top and two more listed below in the pays bills for section. The one closest to me is in the same city as the Stake Center and it’s listed at the top.
Ah, the other two are "child" of wards instead of the stake.

Glad you got though. Frequently the first challenge is to get past the service missionaries to someone who can answer the question.

Something else you might check is to make sure the serial numbers of the firewall and any managed switches match what's shown in TM. If the system checks the property number associated with the firewall and it doesn't match a FHC location, that might create a problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Frb.Henrik

Post by Frb.Henrik »

Here at Copenhagen Denmark FHC we had the issue not being able to have the Premium Websites listed; it happened around each 1-1½ years!
Now I have given up -it is surely a common problem, but of course it can be due to hardware..

-Henrik Hansen
superdave98

Post by superdave98 »

I'm sorry to hear you're having the same issue Henrik. I need to call support again and see if they've come up with a solution. If I find it, I'll post information here so perhaps we can solve your issue as well.

Dave
Frb.Henrik

Post by Frb.Henrik »

since it occurs so regularly, perhaps it has something to do with the ExpiryDate found in the FHC Services Portal?
superdave98

Post by superdave98 »

I am happy to report that I have solved the problem in the two Family History Centers where it was happening. I am unhappy to report that the solution wasn't consistent.

In one FHC, I replaced the network switch with the new Meraki switch provided by the church. It made zero difference. The problem continued. We were waiting for a new Internet connection so we had installed a CradlePoint LTE router with AT&T cellular service. As soon as we completed the Comcast installation, the problem disappeared. That FHC is now able to access the premium websites without issue.

I spent last Saturday at the other FHC. It also has the CradlePoint LTE router with AT&T cellular service so I was pretty confident that was the issue and we would need a new Internet connection to fix it. I was replacing their switch and adding a second one to replace a 10/100 Ethernet hub. Yep, it was really a hub. Surprisingly, as soon as I replaced the switch in the FHC, the proxy problem disappeared. The FHC computers are now able to access the premium websites.

So, if you're experiencing this issue, I would suggest making sure the new Meraki switches are in place, and if that doesn't resolve the issue, look at perhaps changing out the Internet connection. I have no idea why each site with the same symptoms and Internet connection seemed to have a different solution.

Dave
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In the first case, I'm suspecting an issue with the public IP assigned by the ISP. It's probably not in the range of known ISPs. Or possibly that the ISP didn't allow any connections to the firewall, only outgoing connections.

In the second case, I'm guessing it was an issue the computers were in the "public" zone and not the "special" zone that's a VPN.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
superdave98

Post by superdave98 »

Yeah, I don't get why there is a difference.

On the AT&T wireless being the cause, all I could figure is that they were filtering something. The machines at both centers were fully able to access ANY other resources on the Internet. I was extremely surprised when the second center started working with just the switch replacement.

Your second guess makes sense, but it would be wrong in this case. I had confirmed multiple times that they were in the right zone. The machine IPs were all in the correct "special" zone. I even tried moving them to other zones in my troubleshooting to eliminate that as a potential issue.

I guess it's possible that each center had a different issue with the same symptoms, but that doesn't match my previous experience.

Dave

Return to “Family History Centers”