Can youth secretaries record attendance in Member Tools?

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
qirien

Can youth secretaries record attendance in Member Tools?

Post by qirien »

I'm trying to help the young women class secretaries take attendance, and I was wondering if they have access to do so in the Member Tools app (or on the website).

Is that something they have permission to do, or do only adult leaders have that permission?
davesudweeks

Re: Can youth secretaries record attendance in Member Tools?

Post by davesudweeks »

As I understand, youth don't have access. They will need to take attendance and pass the information to their adult leaders or the clerk to record in LCR.
qirien

Post by qirien »

OK, thank you!
davide

Post by davide »

This is something that is clearly needed. I don't understand why youth organization secretaries do not have electronic access to fulfill their callings. It is strange that youth leaders can electronically take attendance where clerks would need to print papers to have the secretaries do it.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

One might wonder what the responsibilities are for the adult Young Women Secretary, especially pertaining to taking attendance.

When I was Young Men Secretary way back in 1977, my only job was to take attendance.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Only the bishopric on the young men side has access, also something that should be taken off their plate.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

johnshaw wrote:Only the bishopric on the young men side has access, also something that should be taken off their plate.
The YM quorum secretaries could take roll manually as has been done for many years and then hand those to the clerk to record. It doesn't have to be done by the bishopric. When I served as clerk, I would have done it gladly - it only takes a few minutes.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

davesudweeks wrote:
johnshaw wrote:Only the bishopric on the young men side has access, also something that should be taken off their plate.
The YM quorum secretaries could take roll manually as has been done for many years and then hand those to the clerk to record. It doesn't have to be done by the bishopric. When I served as clerk, I would have done it gladly - it only takes a few minutes.
It's not that it can be done manually still it's the silliness of making an online tool available AND making it available only in a way that continues to require the manual process be done. It seems a WASTED effort of tithing resources if a development project was created, QA'd, etc.. to only have it continue to be a manual process.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:It's not that it can be done manually still it's the silliness of making an online tool available AND making it available only in a way that continues to require the manual process be done. It seems a WASTED effort of tithing resources if a development project was created, QA'd, etc.. to only have it continue to be a manual process.
I'm suspecting the underlying issue is privacy laws as it applies to "online information", and who is allowed to see the information if there's privacy settings (either opt-out or the legal default of opt-out).

I'd guess that either legal was brought into the project late, or the church has something in mind where that requires attendance at the individual level and not just the compiled numbers. I'm leaning toward the latter because they've effectively made its use mandatory by not allowing the old method of entering number for the quarterly report.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

That's probably a good explanation. I just don't like automating or moving something online only partially. Or only for adults or whatever. This was rolled out in my ward and adults looked dumb in front of kids when the adults found out the kids didn't have access. I've watched things like that happen time and again. The Bishop creates some magical calling they think will 'help' but the leader they've called has no way to do that calling without including another adult (often that adult is the one that we were trying to unburden) because it's a non-standard calling that you can't give it access for :)

So now we have adults who can take attendance on their phones during the meeting and record the data thinking nothing of it later, but youth that must track things with a piece of paper, since it's a piece of paper now they need a pen, how many adults now carry around a pen/pencil vs 10 years ago vs 20 years ago

All these silly little things take time and effort away from gospel learning, every other week now there will be a 5 minute discussion in AP quorums about where a pen is or pencil and can I go to the library to get one. The YW will be better, but still probably will have that conversation often. Its the friction of those events I'm thinking of multiplied by thousands every other week.

Oh well... it's been my windmill for years

Return to “Member Tools”