Recording Baptisms

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
lewiswf1

Recording Baptisms

Post by lewiswf1 »

Question regarding recording baptisms for 8 yr olds, born in the covenant, there is some difference in what the form says vs what the church handbook says. My question is around the requirements for signing the baptismal form.

1) Baptism form, says that a parent or guardian must sign the document
2) Policy on 18.8.3, says that the interviewer from the bishopric must sign the document

I get that there are two places to sign the document, one for bishopric and one for member. Should the order be:
1) Clerk prepares form for interview
2) Parent signs form and gives to bishopric
3) Bishopric completes baptism interview and signs the form
4) After baptism clerk receives the form and records the baptism and uploads the form
Sound correct?

Thanks
Wattsuk

Re: Recording Baptisms

Post by Wattsuk »

The order of step 2 and 3 doesn't really matter. Typically that will all happen at the same time.
Just ensure that the form is signed before the baptism is the only tip.
lewiswf1

Post by lewiswf1 »

Thanks for the help, are both signatures required? If they aren't both signed, what are the consequences? Audit failures, etc?
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

It may come up in a membership audit, can't recall that off the top of my head.
It could be retrospectively corrected I guess in a worst case scenario.

Definitely worth pushing for both signatures.
What is considered best practise and what is considered bare minimum are sometimes different things when it comes to record keeping.

I always go for the belts and braces approach. Usually saves you time further down the line.
lewiswf1

Post by lewiswf1 »

Thanks again for the help
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

If they aren't both signed, what are the consequences
I'd also consider viewing this from the other side, as in "why do we need signatures"? Besides the important aspect of helping ensure that everyone (parents and Bishopric) has knowingly given permission prior to baptizing the child, this is an important safeguard for those future cases where issues arise. Having the full set of signatures will really help if later on, a parent takes issue with their child having been baptized. Anyone who has ever been involved in a situation like that, knows how difficult it is.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”