More Permanent Setup for Sacrament Meeting Broadcasts

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
richielloydbrown
Church Employee
Church Employee

More Permanent Setup for Sacrament Meeting Broadcasts

Post by richielloydbrown »

My Stake Presidency has asked us to look for a more permanent solution for broadcasting weekly sacrament meetings, even though many members are now attending in person. Based on handbook changes, the stake would like to always have a broadcast option that bishops can provide to members (for those who are chronically ill, longer-term home bound, etc.). They however do not want to continue with the setup we have been using that is a bit obtrusive (laptop on a table below pultip with webcam on a music stand and audio running from pulpit output (or USB microphone in some buildings). Broadcast would continue to be over Zoom.

My first thought is a mounted PTZ camera in the back (left or right side) and a feed from the chapel audio system. Then we just plug both into a video capture device + laptops (existing)
We could do some kind of handy-cam on a tripod in the back...
Haven't heard back from the FM yet...

Experience with this type of setup? Cautions? Or any other ideas?
Richard Brown
Product Manager | Missionary Department
dbaresrc

Re: More Permanent Setup for Sacrament Meeting Broadcasts

Post by dbaresrc »

In our stake, I've received the same mandate and have been done quite a bit of research on options. I'm actually at a point where I've put together a preliminary report on options. When it's done, I'll send it to you via PM. Readers Digest version -- PTZOptics NDI camera into ?? software using ?? O/S. You need to understand what uses H/W encoding and what doesn't.

One thing to know up front, and this was confirmed by the regional FM manager, - the Church will NOT pay for cameras, webcast components etc. for non-stake center buildings. They want to reserve the tithing funds for temples and buildings / programs in "more challenged" countries both economically and pandemic affected. If you want to do anything in your individual building(s), you'll have to pay for it yourself. The FM group will assist in installing the network lines (camera to switch plus switch to where ever you'll manage the webcast) as well as mount the camera.

Carlton
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

richielloydbrown wrote:My Stake Presidency has asked us to look for a more permanent solution for broadcasting weekly sacrament meetings, even though many members are now attending in person.
My stake presidency has received instructions that all 2nd hour webcasts are to end immediately and that sacrament meeting webcasts are to end by June 1st.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:My stake presidency has received instructions that all 2nd hour webcasts are to end immediately and that sacrament meeting webcasts are to end by June 1st.
Rather curious considering General Handbook 29.7.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

richielloydbrown wrote:My Stake Presidency has asked us to look for a more permanent solution for broadcasting weekly sacrament meetings, even though many members are now attending in person. Based on handbook changes, the stake would like to always have a broadcast option that bishops can provide to members (for those who are chronically ill, longer-term home bound, etc.). They however do not want to continue with the setup we have been using that is a bit obtrusive (laptop on a table below pultip with webcam on a music stand and audio running from pulpit output (or USB microphone in some buildings). Broadcast would continue to be over Zoom.

My first thought is a mounted PTZ camera in the back (left or right side) and a feed from the chapel audio system. Then we just plug both into a video capture device + laptops (existing)
We could do some kind of handy-cam on a tripod in the back...
Haven't heard back from the FM yet...

Experience with this type of setup? Cautions? Or any other ideas?
Have you looked into the mevo start option?
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

dbaresrc wrote:In our stake, I've received the same mandate and have been done quite a bit of research on options. I'm actually at a point where I've put together a preliminary report on options. When it's done, I'll send it to you via PM. Readers Digest version -- PTZOptics NDI camera into ?? software using ?? O/S. You need to understand what uses H/W encoding and what doesn't.

One thing to know up front, and this was confirmed by the regional FM manager, - the Church will NOT pay for cameras, webcast components etc. for non-stake center buildings. They want to reserve the tithing funds for temples and buildings / programs in "more challenged" countries both economically and pandemic affected. If you want to do anything in your individual building(s), you'll have to pay for it yourself. The FM group will assist in installing the network lines (camera to switch plus switch to where ever you'll manage the webcast) as well as mount the camera.

Carlton
That's a FM group policy rather than a church wide policy.

One FM group has provided 2 x mevo start cameras to each stake within its area. It has advised the stake to distribute them as they see fit, but recommended that the stake centre continue with it's teradek.

Many wards and stakes have not utilised their budget in the same way during the pandemic and could quite comfortably set aside some funds for some technology provided a reasonable case of sustainability can be presented.
Last edited by Wattsuk on Mon May 10, 2021 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:My stake presidency has received instructions that all 2nd hour webcasts are to end immediately and that sacrament meeting webcasts are to end by June 1st.
Rather curious considering General Handbook 29.7.
Yes, and that section of the handbook suggests that the local Bishops make these decisions. I'm sure the stake presidency will have some counsel for the Bishops within their stake just as the CCM / Area presidency have some counsel for the Stake Presidents.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Rather curious considering General Handbook 29.7.
Wattsuk wrote:Yes, and that section of the handbook suggests that the local Bishops make these decisions. I'm sure the stake presidency will have some counsel for the Bishops within their stake just as the CCM / Area presidency have some counsel for the Stake Presidents.
General Handbook 29.7 and the instructions the stake president received are both new and do conflict. The stake president has pointed this out. It will be interesting to see what happens as these instructions are clarified.

One thing I noticed in 29.7 is the instruction that these are to be inconspicuous one-device operations.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Getting back to the thread's title, this is what my ward came up with. A web cam on the podium. At a distance it's there but easily ignorable. The picture is great. With a USB extension cable, the laptop can be anywhere in a 15' radius. Usually a folding chair acting like a table just off to the side of the podium or in front of the first row. Sometimes even on the front row pew.

Note that the bulk of the visual intrusiveness is the mount itself which is just hanging on and isn't at all permanent. With FM's help or permission to create a permanent mount, I'm sure something even more inconspicuous could be done.

Edit: wanted to add, what isn't visible in the photo is that podium has a raised lip that runs around the outside. The mount is using the lip to hang on. I know not all podiums have that raised lip. My point is that a webcam mounted on the podium can be unobtrusive, yet simple. (And cheap.)
Attachments
WebcamS.jpg
WebcamS.jpg (14.56 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

My stake wanted the FM to mount PTZ cameras in all three meetinghouses, but the FM said it was only authorized in stake centers.

I put our webcam on a five-foot tripod so I can easily swivel it during both Sacrament Meeting and the second hour class meeting in the chapel. The class passes around an XLR mic on a 50-foot cord so those online can hear class comments.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”