Adding a 2nd Managed Switch

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
lajackson
Community Moderators

Adding a 2nd Managed Switch

Post by lajackson »

I will be adding a 2nd managed switch at a remote location in a meetinghouse. As I understand the instructions:

On the 1st managed switch (by the firewall) I need to add an SFP Module into Port 10.
I need to run an Ethernet cable from Port 10 of the 1st switch to Port 9 of the 2nd managed switch.

Do I also need an SFP Module in Port 9 of the 2nd switch?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Adding a 2nd Managed Switch

Post by russellhltn »

It's preferred to feed it from Port 10 with a SFP module, but not required - and not possible if you have more than one switch. Be sure to set the port you're using on the first switch to 'Link".

Either way, it would connect to Port 9 of the remote switch.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

So if I am going from Port 10 on the First switch to Port 9 on the second switch, I need an SFP Module in both ports?

And yes, the workaround is to set another port on the first switch as Link and leave the SFP Module on the second switch at Port 9.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:So if I am going from Port 10 on the First switch to Port 9 on the second switch, I need an SFP Module in both ports?
Yes. Without it, it's going to be a bit challenging to plug in the cable.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:So if I am going from Port 10 on the First switch to Port 9 on the second switch, I need an SFP Module in both ports?
Yes. Without it, it's going to be a bit challenging to plug in the cable.
Oh, these technical details will get you every time. Thanks.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”