New MLS install New Computer - copying over MLS database etc.

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
kreeve

New MLS install New Computer - copying over MLS database etc.

Post by kreeve »

I am working on setting up new computers for wards.

We have 2 wards that share a computer and clerks office. Is there away to move over the MLS database etc to the new computer without having to have the wards login and backup on the old then restore on the new?

Reason I ask that in this YSA setting the bishoprics have not logged in for more than 6 months as donors are donating online, so their accounts have expired and they have no way to get in. They do not use MLS at all. STS does not have a username and password on the wards MLS so he can not do it.

It seems MLS has no value anymore other than receiving donations. The wards use the online for everything else including finance, check printing, membership, budgets etc.

Ideas?

Kevin
eblood66

Re: New MLS install New Computer - copying over MLS database etc.

Post by eblood66 »

You'll probably have to call support for help on accessing their existing MLS install to get a backup.

However, you might be able to just setup MLS as if it was a new unit without using the backup. It should download all the financial and calling information automatically. It won't have any information that is only stored locally in MLS but as you said, MLS is really only used for donations now and that doesn't have any local-only information (and I think there is a beta in progress for doing donations so even that probably won't be around for long).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:It won't have any information that is only stored locally in MLS
At this point, I'm not sure what information that would be.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:
eblood66 wrote:It won't have any information that is only stored locally in MLS
At this point, I'm not sure what information that would be.
Custom Reports created in MLS, is one. More flexible/comprehensive than those created in LCR.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

For moving MLS, I've used a method similar to what's outlined in this post. A lot less hassle.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Halversenfamily

Post by Halversenfamily »

I have the same problem, The ward computer has not been used for more than 8 months, Nobody has a password for the MLS , Not even the Bishop can remember his PW. This ward has a High turnaround of married students. an d I'm trying to update the 2014ish computer that takes 7 minutes to boot it seems. I'm going to try the method stated above, it will be interesting to setup Passwords for what users they have currently. (if any)
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

If this is the case:
Halversenfamily wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:08 pmThe ward computer has not been used for more than 8 months
It seems like this doesn't matter:
Halversenfamily wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:08 pmNobody has a password for the MLS , Not even the Bishop can remember his PW.
If they really haven't used MLS in more than 8 months, does it really need to be installed?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

One question I have - how have you determined that MLS hasn't been used in 8 months? I ran across one ward that I thought hasn't touched the computer since the first of the year. A check of the MLS logs showed it wasn't so. I was going by the dates in the data backup directory, but the ward had switched to backing up to the "documents" directory.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”