Using the email application to send messages.

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
smarino973

Using the email application to send messages.

Post by smarino973 »

I'm the Relief Society president in our ward. I always include myself in the list of addressees when I send an email to the sisters. Sometimes I receive the email and sometimes I don't. When I don't receive it the rest of the sisters do. It seems to happen if I copy and paste into the body of the email but I'm not sure that's the only time it happens. Any insight into why?

Also, is there any way to see a list of emails that have been sent from this site? The sent emails don't show up in my own email sent files.
Thanks!
jayDmont3

Re: Using the email application to send messages.

Post by jayDmont3 »

Did you ever figure out how to always get yourself emailed? I'm new to the email feature and noticed this as well. And what about sent emails? Is there really no way to access them?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

When I use the Send A Message tool, I receive a copy of the email I send. I am on Gmail and have never had a problem receiving emails from the church. The only problem I have seen with others receiving emails I have sent is listed in this post: viewtopic.php?p=225644#p225644

They had to get a email account with a provider who doesn't block the church emails.

I recommend you provide feedback using the link at the bottom-right corner of the Send A Message page. That is the official way to report issues and bugs to the church.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

smarino973 wrote:... s there any way to see a list of emails that have been sent from this site?
jayDmont3 wrote:And what about sent emails? Is there really no way to access them?

The Send a Message feature does not provide a sent messages repository. The way you get that record of sent messages is to keep the copy of the message that is sent to you by the system. I have received a copy of every message I have sent.

Reasons for not getting a copy of the message, or even some of your email addressees not getting the message, can have elusive reasons. Many of those reasons are sometimes found in the manner in which your email provider handles messages sent from sources that spoof who the message originated from. The church sends your messages on your behalf when you use Send a Message. Some email providers consider that spoofing the sender. To get a better idea of this read Wikipedia's DMARC article.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The church used to spoof the sender, but now it comes "from" noreply@churchofjesuschrist.org and it's the "reply-to" that's the sender's email. I'd think that would be the correct way to handle it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:The church used to spoof the sender, but now it comes "from" noreply@churchofjesuschrist.org and it's the "reply-to" that's the sender's email. I'd think that would be the correct way to handle it.
That's true. DMARK works at the domain level (churchofjesuschrist.org) of the From: field, making sure that the email originated from that domain and nowhere else.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jfingerlos1

Post by jfingerlos1 »

Several months ago Yahoo.com started to block emails from the Church's domain. If you sent a message to someone you got a message that their email address was bad, when it wasn't. I made a list of our Elders Quorum members with Yahoo.com email addresses and I send the as a forward when I get my copy. Last week Xfinity started marking emails from the Church's domain as SPAM. I did not even get my own copy. I ended up changing to a gmail email address to get messages from the Church's domain including those I send to my Elders Quorum. If I know I am missing an email, I can retrieve it from the SPAM folder in Outlook or from the Xfinity site, but I have no idea when the Stake or Church HQ is sending me an email.

It is getting very hard to communicate with Church members but all other Junk emails just keep on coming.

If we could download a list of email addresses and send Church related messages from our own accounts it would work better.

I am frustrated because the Church is being blocked but not hundreds of true SPAM messages.
greg1005

Post by greg1005 »

centurylink.net e-mail servers are now filtering out messages from the LCR "Send a Message" application. Since they are filtered at the server, they don't appear in the Spam folder.

This is the error returned in the "Message not delivered" response:

The response from the remote server was:
554 5.7.1 [VI-1] Message blocked due to spam content in the message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

greg1005 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:10 pm centurylink.net e-mail servers are now filtering out messages from the LCR "Send a Message" application. Since they are filtered at the server, they don't appear in the Spam folder.
I would send feedback to the Church, but you are at the mercy of whatever they are able to do on this one. It does not look promising.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

lajackson wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:19 am
greg1005 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:10 pm centurylink.net e-mail servers are now filtering out messages from the LCR "Send a Message" application. Since they are filtered at the server, they don't appear in the Spam folder.
I would send feedback to the Church, but you are at the mercy of whatever they are able to do on this one. It does not look promising.
It may be better to send feedback to CenturyLink – from CenturyLink's perspective, you're the paying customer. The Church is just (again, from CenturyLink's perspective) a marketer who sends bulk emails.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”