Youth protection training

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
ecwyatt

Youth protection training

Post by ecwyatt »

I was recently called as ward clerk in a new bishopric. I pulled a report of youth training. We have several members with callings requiring youth protection training, who have never done the training. The handbook states:
All adults who work with children or youth are to complete children and youth protection training within one month of being sustained (see ProtectingChildren.ChurchofJesusChrist.org). They are to repeat the training every three years.
The “ within one month of being sustained” is the part we have a question about. If members don’t complete the training what happens? We will be reaching out individually to each to encourage completion. However, statistically some won’t do we need to release them?

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Youth protection training

Post by russellhltn »

There's always section 0.4 of the Handbook:
If leaders have questions about information in this handbook or about issues it does not address, they counsel with their immediate presiding authority.
Personally, I'd say that if they don't take the training after an appropriate amount of encouragement, counseling, and admonition, there isn't much in the way of options.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

ecwyatt wrote:However, statistically some won’t do we need to release them?
If they're just forgetting to take the training, I wouldn't stress too much about it being more than a month – continue reminding and encouraging them. If they have difficulties taking the training for technical reasons, like not being able to sign in with their Church account, or limited access to the internet, there might be something you can do to help. If they just don't want to take the training for some reason, the bishop should meet with them, ask them formally to take the training, etc. – if they still refuse (I expect this would be rare, as I don't know why someone would be opposed to taking the training), then he might consider whether the member should be released.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:if they still refuse (I expect this would be rare, as I don't know why someone would be opposed to taking the training), then he might consider whether the member should be released.
Church headquarters might state it a little more forcefully then that. I'm sure there are factors at play that are above the bishop's pay grade. It seems to me that failure to take take the training could expose the church to legal liability should something happen. Bishop's failure to follow policy might expose him to legal liability.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

We have some who, for a number of different reasons, do not complete the training. Some do not have Church accounts or are otherwise not tech savvy. Many are older and not connected to the Internet.

We gather them in a room at the meetinghouse, crank up the TV, and show them the training. The online record shows that our clerk and bishopric counselors seem to be taking the training much more often than required. After the training, we have the members sign and date an attendance roster which is kept in the clerks office.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Part of extending a calling to work with Children or Youth, should require the explanation of the Church's position on protecting children and youth, along with the Handbook requirements for completing the training (HB 12.3.5, 11.3.5, etc). This doesn't exactly resolve the issue of already-called-members, but if you provide this feedback to your Bishopric, hopefully going forward you'll have a better likelihood of completing the training if they review this with each member during the calling interview.
jamesburneson

Post by jamesburneson »

For some reason I cannot get the link to open. Is there maintenance going on?
theokester

Error trying to access Youth Protection Training

Post by theokester »

Hello there. I (and other members in my ward) are getting a 500 error when clicking the link to view training. Have tried on multiple browsers and operating systems. We also tried accessing both previously signed into our Church account as well as when not yet authenticated. Same error page in all instances. Please advise.

Coming from this page: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/cal ... h?lang=eng

Link points to the following URL (which has a 500 error): https://courses.churchofjesuschrist.org ... l?lang=eng

Thanks for any help
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

There have been church server issues on and off since early Sunday. I just checked the link and it works as of right now.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
scoske

Post by scoske »

I am not able to access the youth protection training on 8/22/2021. Chrome and Safari browsers say "This site isn't working. HTTP Error 400"

Return to “General Discussions”