Reimbursement creator is changing to me (ward clerk)

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wiscombe.peter

Reimbursement creator is changing to me (ward clerk)

Post by wiscombe.peter »

When a ward member (auxiliary presidency, etc.) enters a reimbursement request, I (the ward clerk) then get an email notifying me that "There is a transaction pending approval". However, when I go to the 'Dashboard' under Finances, there isn't anything pending under Approve Expenses, rather there is an item under "Payment Request. If I go to that item, the only choices are Save, Cancel or Delete.

If I click on Save, it moves on to the approval queue, but now shows that it was created by me, rather than the member who actually submitted it. They are still listed as the Payee, but the issue is that now I cannot approve the request, because I can/should not approve something that I submitted myself.

Is there a step I am missing or is this functioning as designed?
allenjpl

Re: Reimbursement creator is changing to me (ward clerk)

Post by allenjpl »

The organizations can't create expenses, because that takes certain Finance permissions. They can only provide you with the details through the Request, and essentially ask you to create the expense. So, when you save or finalize the request, you are the one creating the expense.

It's the functional equivalent of them handing you the Request Form and then you sitting down and entering it into the system.
wiscombe.peter

Post by wiscombe.peter »

I guess that makes sense from a process standpoint (that I am the one creating it).

That would then mean that this is something that needs to be corrected in the notification process, because there isn't an expense I need to "approve" as the email incorrectly informed me, rather that there is an expense I need to "create" or submit."
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

wiscombe.peter wrote:I guess that makes sense from a process standpoint (that I am the one creating it).

That would then mean that this is something that needs to be corrected in the notification process, because there isn't an expense I need to "approve" as the email incorrectly informed me, rather that there is an expense I need to "create" or submit."
You are creating the entry for expense in the system. As with the paper payment request method you need to verify all necessary elements of an expense payment request are there as well as the amounts entered are correct according to the supporting documentation. If any adjustments are necessary you can make them at that time or reject the submitted request. You are also the first approver when you save the submission. So the terminology being used is correct in that there is an expense to approve.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”