Has anyone originated a Zoom webinar with a Raspberry Pi?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Has anyone originated a Zoom webinar with a Raspberry Pi?

Post by russellhltn »

I see the Rock Pi X was mentioned.

Another thought: if the Android Zoom client is sufficient, what about running Android on the Raspberry?

Also, has anyone looked into using a cell phone with a USB hub and "driverless" peripherals? Seems like there's possibility you could use the phone like a computer and attach what's needed in the way of web cams, NIC, etc.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
brad_p

Post by brad_p »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:49 pm Another thought: if the Android Zoom client is sufficient, what about running Android on the Raspberry?
Probably no different . From here: https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-android-lineageos/

>LineageOS is an open-source operating system that is built upon the Android platform. . . .The only feature missing from these builds of Android is support for hardware decoding and encoding of video. You may experience some slowdowns when trying to play video files through Android.

The Raspberry Pi 4 uses an old and dying OMX hardware encoder for videos. Few want to code for OMX anymore. OBS and ffmpeg don't support it. Seems the Android build doesn't have OMX support either. So Android for the RP4 is going to run into the exact same issues as before: software decoding and software encoding via the CPU.
Also, has anyone looked into using a cell phone with a USB hub and "driverless" peripherals? Seems like there's possibility you could use the phone like a computer and attach what's needed in the way of web cams, NIC, etc.
We all know many wards use a phone for its camera, hook into a mic, put that on a tripod, and broadcast. That works.

The problem is mixing. Like something as simple as temporarily turning off the screen during the sacrament ordinance. For us, we run two mics, one for music and one for speakers. We need to mix that. At this point I'm not aware of any clean solution. OBS isn't for Android. Zoom doesn't really do much as a mixer. I suppose there are other apps out there that can help here? At this point I'd rather buy a $180 Windows or Linux NUC mentioned earlier than try to force a $180 phone to work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bradpeterson@gmail.com wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:54 pmAt this point I'd rather buy a $180 Windows
Which has the added benefit of being more familiar to your successor or other members supporting other wards.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”