Is there a way to increase Zoom Connections on Stake Account for Stake Conference

Using Google Meet, Zoom, etc.)
dgregory23

Is there a way to increase Zoom Connections on Stake Account for Stake Conference

Post by dgregory23 »

Just seeing if it's possible to increase our Zoom Stake Account connections limit from 500 to 1000 for an upcoming stake conference? I don't know who to contact if help is needed for the zoom accounts on meet.churchofjesuschrist.org. Our stake and each ward has accounts made, but there is no email or phone number is given there for help/support. Any ideas?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Is there a way to increase Zoom Connections on Stake Account for Stake Conference

Post by russellhltn »

I would suggest using the church webcast system for any "overflow" from zoom. That's the direction we've been given.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Re: Is there a way to increase Zoom Connections on Stake Account for Stake Conference

Post by Biggles »

Or, I don’t have the knowledge of how to do this, but I understand that an appropriate YouTube account is another way to increase connections.

I’m also led to believe that the church webcast system is/might be being phased out. My source was the contractor who recently upgraded our buildings AV system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:I’m also led to believe that the church webcast system is/might be being phased out. My source was the contractor who recently upgraded our buildings AV system.
It's being discouraged for non-ward level events in favor of Zoom. I'm not aware of the whole thing being phased out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Biggles wrote:I don’t have the knowledge of how to do this, but I understand that an appropriate YouTube account is another way to increase connections.
Zoom will feed the Church webcast system. You set up the webcast and copy the URL/Stream Address information in to the Zoom meeting or webinar. Zoom does its thing (as long as you remember to turn it on when you start the Zoom event, although you do get a reminder). There are other distribution methods, including YouTube, that will also work. Details are somewhere in this Broadcasts and Conferences area of the Forum in earlier posts.

We were told not to use the webcast system for sacrament meetings, but to continue to use it for stake conferences and other occasions where large numbers, especially more than 500, were expected to view the meeting.

To my knowledge, the Church has not tried to expand the 500 connection limit in Zoom, even though I have heard of it being requested several times.

Satellites are going away in North America this year. In fact, ours is already gone. We will use the Internet to receive things we used to get over the big dish.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

lajackson wrote:Zoom will feed the Church webcast system.
And vice-versa!
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

I'm in the stake with @dgregory23 and we have a Spanish ward in our stake. The 500 zoom limit prevents us from sending that out to everyone because the Spanish translation that zoom allows for will not transfer over to churchwebcaset/youtube. If English speakers take up all 500 slots and there are no more for Spanish speakers they would be forced to go over to the English only broadcast. The alternative would be to say all English speakers should go to churchwebcast/youtube and Spanish speakers to go to zoom to get the translation. Not that that is impossible to do, just a bit annoying to say you go here you go there. Figured it doesn't hurt to ask about a temporary bump in slots to make it easier for a multi-language stake.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

barkeraj wrote:The alternative would be to say all English speakers should go to churchwebcast/youtube and Spanish speakers to go to zoom to get the translation.
That is how we did it. It worked just fine. Some of the English speakers hit the Zoom webinar anyway, along with those offsite who were particiating, but we were well under the 500 limit. We had 1,200 on the Church webcast system.

The Church settled for the 500 connection plan and I am sure Zoom would let them go to the next step (for a higher fee), but I do not believe it can be done on an individual unit basis.

Feeding the Zoom meeting to a service similar to YouTube does make it more immediate, without the normal Church 2-4 minute delay.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:The Church settled for the 500 connection plan and I am sure Zoom would let them go to the next step (for a higher fee), but I do not believe it can be done on an individual unit basis.
Good point. We're all on one account. It's questionable if anything can be done just for one unit.

nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

dgregory23 wrote:Just seeing if it's possible to increase our Zoom Stake Account connections limit from 500 to 1000 for an upcoming stake conference?
This post from a few weeks ago may have the information you are seeking for more than 500 viewers. See the attached PDF in the post.
viewtopic.php?f=146&t=39237
dgregory23 wrote:...there is no email or phone number is given there for help/support.
Support for any Zoom account is via https://support.zoom.us/.

Return to “Interactive Virtual Meetings”