Attendance access in member tools

trentj2009

Attendance access in member tools

Post by trentj2009 »

All assigned teachers need to have access to attendance in member tools. Are we missing something? Our teachers in Primary, Sunday school are saying they have no access. This would help if they could have access in order to gather attendance numbers for the quarterly report and avoid having the clerk go back for the months or the quarter and adjust.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Attendance access in member tools

Post by sbradshaw »

Organization secretaries have access. The organization secretary (for example, the Primary secretary) has primary responsibility under the president for compiling attendance information. Organization presidencies and secretaries can take attendance themselves, or print paper rolls for each class to use, and collect information from the printed rolls periodically.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
brallen46

Post by brallen46 »

My Sunday School Presidency is telling me they can't access the attendance rolls in tools. Is there something they need to do to obtain access to the electronic recording for attendance?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

brallen46 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:39 am My Sunday School Presidency is telling me they can't access the attendance rolls in tools. Is there something they need to do to obtain access to the electronic recording for attendance?
Make sure their calling is recorded as a standard position, not a custom one. Make sure they are logging into tools with their own id (the MRN on the account matches the MRN of the calling).

However, I'd first verify that it is the presidency that doesn't have access and they're not just reporting on behalf of someone else, like the teachers.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
thawkins3

Post by thawkins3 »

Hi Russell:

Regarding Sunday School attendance recording - My wife is the Gospel doctrine teacher. She is listed as such in Member Tools (Which I confirmed in LCR as Stake Clerk.)

In as much as the Sunday school president Is responsible for recording attendance by person, or causing such to be done by his secretary or counselor, it seems logical that individual teachers would not have access or the need to record attendance (However I believe as a back up they should be granted access.)

My wife is currently recording attendance during sacrament meeting and then crossing off the names of those who choose not to attend Sunday school or who have assignments teaching the youth primary or are attending in other units in stake callings. She’s also working with the Sunday school presidency to find a way for a presidency member to record attendance, so that she can focus on her lesson.

I believe it goes without saying, that if all else fails, the ward/branch clerk will/should fill in. I have noticed the most excellent notice on the LCR landing page. I wonder, if additional Instruction may serve as reinforcement or a reminder to our noble clerks of their responsibility to ensure each presidency, including their secretary is properly trained - particularly in the manner of recording attendance? Many of us have become more familiar with videoconferencing and many have church-paid zoom accounts. This makes training even easier.

One point I emphasize when training our stake’s clerks is that one way they can magnify their calling is by serving as the “backstop” to ensure nothing slips by before the end of the quarter.

Thank you for all you do moderating this forum. I find it most useful, especially the network, firewall, and broadcast sections.

Warm regards,

Tom Hawkins
#T-HAWK
Cherry Hill Stake
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

I would add that Primary, YM and YW secretaries should have access to mark attendance for adult teachers/leaders and substitutes to have accurate attendance. The tool today only allows EQ/SS to mark adult brethren and RS/SS to mark adult sisters. The current permissions require cross coordination and for substitutes is particularly difficult.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thawkins3 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:13 pm In as much as the Sunday school president Is responsible for recording attendance by person, or causing such to be done by his secretary or counselor, it seems logical that individual teachers would not have access or the need to record attendance (However I believe as a back up they should be granted access.)
From an operational standpoint, I agree it makes total sense for teachers to be able to record attendance. But I'm sensing a "law of the land" issue. Maybe not in the US as much as the UK with their very strict privacy laws.

What I've observed is those who are clerks, or the Handbook indicates they have responsibility for individual members (usually because they belong to the Ward Council), they have access to extended membership information. Those who do not have such responsibilities do not get access (at least not directly). I speculate there is a connection.

Sunday School teachers are told to "get to know class members, including those who do not attend classes" (13.2.3). While that's difficult with out a list, it falls short of responsibility for their general spiritual welfare.
thawkins3 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:13 pm Thank you for all you do moderating this forum. I find it most useful, especially the network, firewall, and broadcast sections.
Thank you! I'm glad you find it useful.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jody.greene

Post by jody.greene »

It would be useful for Sunday School teachers within their respective organizations to have access to, at least, enter attendance.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

It would be useful for Sunday School teachers within their respective organizations to have access to, at least, enter attendance.
Jody, have you also entered this as Feedback via the link found at the bottom of most pages on the Church website? Since this is a "self-help" user forum, posting this here won't do much to make change happen. But hopefully as more and more members use the official method to submit Feedback on issues, it gets noticed by those "decision makers" working for the Church (who may or may not ever look at this user forum)
martindad

Post by martindad »

In our ward (Las Vegas Nevada), organization presidents, secretaries, clerks and bishop/counselors have access to take roll. Organization counselors have no access. Callings are correctly recorded. Why can presidency counselors not help with rolls?

Return to “Mobile Applications”