Constant app crash 5 seconds in

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
matthewsage

Re: Constant app crash 5 seconds in

Post by matthewsage »

For anytime searching for this thread later, the last update from 2 days ago in the play store fixed the issue for my wife and I, both with Samsung S20s, in case that helps anyone.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Thanks for the update! It's nice to hear back what fixed the issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

lmcguire wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:34 pm New information. I updated the following three apps after installing GL version 5.12.1 (512112.18), and now the app doesn't hang - tested with WiFi connected and disconnected. Also, the sync function now works:

Google Connectivity Services
Carrier Services
Android System WebView

(I updated all three at once, so I don't know which one / combination may be required.)

Note to developers: you can't tell me that some required component needs to be upgraded / is incompatible? Seriously, I was a programmer before retiring 2 years ago, throwing error messages may be annoying, but it's the right thing to do... (I know, they're not here, won't ever see it, still...) PS: In case they do - your error messages about "requiring an internet connection" don't need to stay on screen for several minutes! 10-20 seconds is more than enough!
And this no longer works. With the latest update, the one that restored pinning the sidebar, this problem is back, and none of the previous fixes works this time. My version is 5.12.4 (512400.25). Sucks when I have to find an off-line web browser to load the Sunday School pages from the Church website on Saturday just so I can follow along in SS... Roll back 4-5 versions and let us use that while the devs fix it - doesn't seem so hard.
Joani

Re: Constant app crash less than 1 second in

Post by Joani »

Can’t open app flickers to something I edited while studying last night,; goes on then immediately off.
Attachments
I had to take the screenshot at the same time I opened the app to even be able get this screen shot of where it’s trying to go .
I had to take the screenshot at the same time I opened the app to even be able get this screen shot of where it’s trying to go .
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Constant app crash less than 1 second in

Post by sbradshaw »

Joani wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:06 am Can’t open app flickers to something I edited while studying last night,; goes on then immediately off.
Thanks to the screenshot, I was able to reproduce the issue. It seems that iOS Gospel Library crashes if the last thing you viewed before closing the app was a tag without any notes. I'd recommend sending in-app feedback under Help, to report the issue.

A workaround to get out of the bad state is to open the app using a link that goes somewhere else in the app. For example, here's a link to the Library section:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures?lang=eng
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”