Pop-up cookie notice on main church web page

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
garystroble

Pop-up cookie notice on main church web page

Post by garystroble »

I have gotten this pop-up cookie notice seemingly random twice this week after logging into the church web page. This time I made a screen shot of it after sliding it over to cover my personal information on the screen. I x'ed out of it after making the screen shot.

What in the world of techno-goofs is going on with this? I have reported it via the web system.
Bizarro World.png
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Pop-up cookie notice on main church web page

Post by Mikerowaved »

The church's cookies sometimes crumble on people's devices. I suggest clearing any cookies pertaining to the church's website (or all cookies, if you choose), clear your cache and try it again. This simple act solved several problems I was having.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

It just did it again and this after I cleared all cookies and cache. My opinion is something in the church cookies is half-baked or overdone. Or as I believe Mark Twain once described dinner: "burned on the outside, raw in the middle and sour in between."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I wonder if this is a setting you have in your browser? If this was a wide spread experience, we'd have a flood of "me too" posts.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

Have checked the browser settings as well. They are normal and I have not changed anything there, still using standard tracking protection. I look at a ton of news and other web pages. Only the church web page is doing this.

The pop-up cookie notice shows only 23 bytes. That is extremely small. For example, I just logged back into the tech page to answer you and it shows 67 cookies totaling 3.1kb have been placed. The tech page and family search do not have the pop up, just the main church web page does.

Thus far, not accepting the cookie pop up notice has not changed my experience on the main church web page at all. I can still do all my ward clerk stuff just fine. So will keep not accepting it for now.

I remember when web pages in general required one to opt in to accept cookies but that was many years ago.

Am using Firefox 91.0 which came out on August 10. Perhaps that is the culprit, but as you say, there should be others reporting it then.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

garystroble wrote:Am using Firefox 91.0 which came out on August 10. Perhaps that is the culprit...
I have the same browser and I am not experiencing the issue.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

It is not doing it today. Seems random.
mevans

Post by mevans »

When using Firefox I seem to get the set-wam-cookie message every time. I don't see it when using Chrome. I have tried clearing cookies and still get the message. I kept meaning to come here to the forums and see if anyone else has the issue, but haven't had time until now.
G4344

Post by G4344 »

This DOES appear to be a wide-spread issue with FireFox.
You have two choices.

1. Save the file. (Why would I want to do that!?)
2. Cancel the save file and move on.

The important question at hand, is why is this happening and what is the purpose of the set-wam-cookie file?
Go ask FIREFOX and maybe they can provide a plausible explaination.

- Greg -
nadenehinkins

Pop up on missionary page

Post by nadenehinkins »

Why does the pop up below in parentheses keeping coming up when I'm looking for senior missionary opportunities? It is so frustrating because it covers half the page and does not let me see the opportunities. Thanks for your help.

(What are "High Need" opportunities?
These are service opportunities that typically need to be filled before lower needs.)

Return to “Main Church Website”