LCR “Send a Message” application NOT sending to yahoo.com accounts

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
jtjacks

Re: LCR “Send a Message” application NOT sending to yahoo.com accounts

Post by jtjacks »

peeryfamily wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:26 pmHow do I get you to stop pursuing this?
It was resolved - please close.
With all due respect, if this issue were resolved, people would stop complaining about it. People are posting because It isn't fixed.

Someone posted an update (about six posts above) that Church IT is working on it. That may well be true. This thread has been open for more than a year, and we have seen similar "updates" - yet the problem persists (as evidenced by other recent posts).

To all those who are affected - keep in mind that this is a user forum. It is a good place to share tips and work arounds, but it doesn't get system problems fixed. Unless something has changed recently, there is no church IT employee who monitors it, takes ownership of issues drives them to closure and reports back. If that is no longer correct, I would love to have that employee speak up.

So, if you are having an IT problem (like this email problem), call church support and have them open a ticket. If enough tickets get opened, someone in IT management may see that it is a real problem and decide to do something about it. Otherwise, we are all just talking to each other.
Last edited by russellhltn on Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added quote tags
dkarbuckle

Post by dkarbuckle »

The Church is certainly aware of this issue, and they recently added this message on the "send a message" page...
"The Church’s email delivery via “Send a Message” in Leader and Clerk Resources has been problematic for the past several weeks. Some email providers are currently blocking email traffic from Church servers.

Church engineers are actively working on the problem both internally, with external vendors and email providers. There appears to be no “quick fix” for the issue and may continue for some time. For the best probability of not being blocked, we recommend:

Email messages sent via “Send a Message” be sent during the week instead of near peak hours of Saturday and Sunday.
Members verify that the email addresses on their Church account are correct.
Thank you for your patience as we work through email delivery problems."
garn12

Post by garn12 »

I don't think it has been resolved.
mattprasmussen

Post by mattprasmussen »

As of today, November 15, 2022, this issue hasn't been resolved.

I count this as a poor performance of the church IT leadership failing to convince email providers to unblock the church messages AND to provide a way for disaffected/disgruntled people to opt out of receiving messages from the church if they prefer.

I am supposed to start as a temple worker next month and missed the communication to all temple workers to attend training.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mattprasmussen wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:26 am I count this as a poor performance of the church IT leadership failing to convince email providers to unblock the church messages AND to provide a way for disaffected/disgruntled people to opt out of receiving messages from the church if they prefer.
IT does as it's directed. You're going to have a aim a little higher for the blame.

I would point out that the unspoken church policy and Yahoo's rules are at odds with each other. Is it really the church's responsibility to resolve that?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

As of today, November 15, 2022, this issue hasn't been resolved.
As of today, November 15th, the "Send a Message" functionality does have a very large disclaimer on the page, so anyone using the tool should be aware of this issue and that it has not been resolved. I'd suggest letting your Temple know that you did not receive that email, and that there are likely a number of other workers that also did not receive it. Then they will have to determine how best to proceed for their circumstances.

Unfortunately it seems that for the foreseeable future, anyone wanting to send mass emails cannot count on Send a Message to reach those they intend. Where exactly the blame lies isn't anything this Forum can resolve, we all have our own perspectives. But I'm sure there's a lot of members like yourself who are missing out on emails that leaders don't realize aren't getting to everyone.
mattprasmussen

Post by mattprasmussen »

russellhltn wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:38 am I would point out that the unspoken church policy and Yahoo's rules are at odds with each other. Is it really the church's responsibility to resolve that?
What is "the unspoken church policy" regarding email and/or contacting members? I'm not being snarky, I genuinely don't know and want to understand.

Today it's Yahoo and AOL that don't work, but at what point do disaffected member's complaints get Gmail and iCloud to block mail from the church?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I don't know as there is an official church policy, but if we look to the Savior, we have a good example: He always reached out to people at their level, never made them come to His. He always respected their agency and did not force Himself on them.

There is not an "opt-out" feature in the Send A Message tool so to avoid inflaming members who don't want to receive emails, I believe the responsibility falls on the sender to manually uncheck members who desire less (or no) contact.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mattprasmussen wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:56 am What is "the unspoken church policy" regarding email and/or contacting members? I'm not being snarky, I genuinely don't know and want to understand.
Based on observation:
- There's no way for a member to opt-out of "Send A Message" in LCR. Nor is there any real support to help senders to remove emails on a consistent basis. It's all on the sender to remove it each time they send.
- Until recently, there doesn't seem to have been any process to remove invalid emails based on error messages from the ISP.

That's straightforward and factual. The question is if there's any kind of policy behind that - such as the belief that all members should be open to receiving messages from their leaders. To be fair, I'd be hard pressed to find ANY organization that would allow someone to call themselves a member but are still able to opt-out of contact by leadership.

Where this gets to be a problem is that ISPs frown upon senders who keep sending to invalid emails. Some members have been reporting unwanted emails as spam. This causes the ISP to view the church in less than favorable light. Now you have a conflict between "the Church way" and "the Yahoo/AOL way" of dealing with email.

What we do know is the church IT people work on and develop features based on what they're told from above. I wouldn't lay the current situation at IT's feet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jtjacks

Post by jtjacks »

russellhltn wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:38 am
IT does as it's directed. You're going to have a aim a little higher for the blame.

I would point out that the unspoken church policy and Yahoo's rules are at odds with each other. Is it really the church's responsibility to resolve that?
1. With respect, IT management does as its directed, but it falls to IT management to bring issues forward (or to just fix them). Just like in any large organization, senior people can't micromanage every issue for every department. IT needs to get it fixed, and if there is a conflict between the way email works on the internet and the way church systems work, IT management needs to bring that forward to church leadership and get a decision about how to proceed. They do NOT get to sit on their hands and wait for leadership to magically discover a problem. Its just like with FM - if the toilets in a building aren't working, FM needs to get them fixed - not wait around for direction from church management.

2. It is precisely the Church's (or more specifically, Church IT Management's) responsibility to resolve the issue if "the unspoken church policy and Yahoo's [and other major email providers like Gmail, outlook, etc.'s ] rules are at odds with each other." The email providers certainly aren't going to resolve it. Again, they should just fix it, or if there is a conflict with church policy, they need to bring it forward to church leaders to get it resolved.

Lastly, I suspect that the lack of an unsubscribe button (etc.) probably runs afoul of the CAN SPAM act, so Church IT may be having the Church operating outside US law.

However, with all of that said, Church IT management doesn't seem to follow this forum, so us discussing it is probably not going to lead to a solution.
So, I reiterate what I said above - every time you hit this problem, call church support and open a ticket (don't allow yourself to be talked out of opening a ticket). That is the only way I can see "us users" ever getting anything done.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”