Public access to Church wireless internet?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
zabaki

Post by zabaki »

jmessinger wrote:This was mentioned in conjunction to a comment about priesthood leaders expressing concern that under this access that youth might spend sacrament meeting browsing Facebook etc on their iPhones (which, btw I would be concerned about too).
I'm sorry for going completely off topic. But i think that that concern is pure nonsense for many reasons.
1) Through smartphones many are able to go on the internet through 3G service. If people really want, then they'll do it. There is no need for the wireless connection provided by the church.

2) I sit next to a active brother in the church who is in his 40's, and he sits during church meetings on his smartphone to watch news. Aiming the problem on the youth isn't fair, as i know just as many members check BYU sport news during church meetings. (this also includes senior couples on their missions by use of ipod touch)

3) Facebook isn't the end of the world. It is used for many worthwhile purposes. I personally have stopped using it, but facebook is the youths network. I've several times wanted to post on my network the joy from being in church, which would go along with the supportive comments that has been given about youth using the net for sharing their love for the church.

Again sorry for going off topic, and it doesnt help at all with your concern. I just noticed that one comment which i think the older generation needs to realise that the digitale native is different, but not always in a bad way.

sorrrry. Just ponder it.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

zabaki wrote:I'm sorry for going completely off topic. But i think that that concern is pure nonsense for many reasons.
If it happens already (through 3G etc) then it must be a concern. If others do the same then the concern can only be bigger so I wouldn't say it is nonsense.

When considering whether to have wifi access or not the benefits will have to be compared with the disadvantages.

One might say people who want to do it will still do it without wifi but there is no need for us to indirectly encourage it to be misused. That is unless the benefit of having it (wifi) is greater for other reasons but I am struggling to see real benefit in having wifi access during the Sunday meetings.

I suspect that whatever solution any unit come up with will in all cases involve a certain amount of education of where to have your focus (with or without wifi and amongst youth as well as adults).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dkjorgi wrote: I am struggling to see real benefit in having wifi access during the Sunday meetings.
In a building that houses more than one ward, it can be very beneficial. While one ward is having sacrament meeting, other wards might be having a Family History Sunday School class, or a PEC meeting, or any number of situations where it would be helpful to have wireless access.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

As was mentioned several times in this thread, under the current guidelines the STS is required to have any WiFi signal encrypted with at least a WPA pre-shared key. In our stake, the WPA key (and SSID) are common for every AP in each of our buildings. This key is given to the stake president and he decides who gets it from there. This will generally allow access to those who have a need and out of reach by the general membership.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
robartsd

Post by robartsd »

I was surprised a few years ago when access to the internet was shared with students at the institute. I don't know where the policy decision came down from - previously the same institute director who shared the key with me had told me that they were not allowed to give access to students. At the time I was denied access, I thought it would be great if the policy allowed public access to church owned websites.

I was even more surprised to find that I had internet access while at the stake center (same SSID/password). Later the FHC at my meetinghouse had the SSID/password changed to match the institute and stake center (I'd previously been aware that the FHC had wifi internet but I did not have access).

I personally think it is a great idea to allow public access at the institute. It is a great high-traffic, high-standards place to go online.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Alan_Brown wrote:In a building that houses more than one ward, it can be very beneficial. While one ward is having sacrament meeting, other wards might be having a Family History Sunday School class, or a PEC meeting, or any number of situations where it would be helpful to have wireless access.
So maybe Wifi access with a heavy filter to avoid access to news, mail and FB :-)
zabaki

Post by zabaki »

thats still nonsense.
I use the net (including mail, news sites and fb) all the time for lots of good purposes. Restrictions would only slow down the work that needs to be done anyways.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

zabaki wrote:thats still nonsense.
I use the net (including mail, news sites and fb) all the time for lots of good purposes. Restrictions would only slow down the work that needs to be done anyways.
If you are referring to the last message about having a heavy filter then that was in response to Alan who was talking about Wifi access during sunday meetings and hopefully you wont feel the need to have access to mail, news sites and fb during the Sunday meetings :-)

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”