Two minute delay when broadcasting

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
jephbrink

Two minute delay when broadcasting

Post by jephbrink »

Our stake is experiencing a two minute delay from when we start a webcast using the https://webcast.churchofjesuschrist.org/ streaming service to when it actually broadcasts. Has anyone else experienced something similar? If so, any suggestions for how to reduce or eliminate the delay?

In case it's helpful, we use a Teradek VidiU encoder.

Thanks in advance!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Two minute delay when broadcasting

Post by russellhltn »

I think if you'll look at the playback screen, it defaults to 120 second delay. I assume it's to handle any short interruptions.

If I'm right, then this is on each playback screen. Not really practical to fix for webcasting the the membership. You'd need to switch to something like YouTube or Zoom webcast.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

jephbrink wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:07 pmOur stake is experiencing a two minute delay from when we start a webcast using the https://webcast.churchofjesuschrist.org/ streaming service to when it actually broadcasts. Has anyone else experienced something similar? If so, any suggestions for how to reduce or eliminate the delay?

russellhltn is correct. The amount of buffering is controlled by individual viewers through the Meetinghouse Webcast player and it defaults to the longest setting. The originator of the stream has no control over this.

I'm curious why this would matter, except the meetings appear to be starting and ending 2 minutes later.

BTW, we've switched to YouTube Live, which gives 3 options: "Normal latency", "Low-latency", and "Ultra low-latency". The differences being about 11, 7, and 3 seconds of lag respectively. I've been setting all the streams to the Low-latency setting with no problems. I've tested the Ultra low-latency a few times, but not under enough adverse conditions to go there full-time. Hummm... maybe I'll create a virtual machine with the LAN throttled to that of a weak DSL connection and try watching an Ultra low-latency stream for an hour or so. :idea:
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:23 am Hummm... maybe I'll create a virtual machine with the LAN throttled to that of a weak DSL connection and try watching an Ultra low-latency stream for an hour or so. :idea:
I'm thinking it's less of a speed issue than a consistency/drop-out issue.

I'm not sure what the point of selecting a lower latency would be. Even Ultra low seems a little long for live viewing in the same building unless the area was isolated. I don't think a few seconds would make a difference to home viewers.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

jephbrink

Post by jephbrink »

Thank you all for the replies. Very helpful. We'll look into YouTube Live.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

It is to facilitate buffering in order to give the member a better viewing experience without stuttering or pauses. As mentioned, the viewer can shorten it to 30 seconds, but I have always had problems with that.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”