Remote Controlled Podium Height Switch/Remote

For things that just don't fit anywhere else.
seperry

Remote Controlled Podium Height Switch/Remote

Post by seperry »

Hi Everyone, I'm in a mid sized branch in a phase 2 building. Our Chapel podium goes up and down with a 3 position switch Up is us, down is down and middle is stop. I'm looking for a mod to keep the switch, but add some type of remote control so we can raise and lower the podium for tall and short speakers.

This would be especially helpful since our Stake President doesn't want to add a hard mounted camera in the building for broadcasting our Service for covid-19 issues. I currently use a Mini-tripod mounted HD webcam and microphone very close but above the microphone. The webcam/mic runs down to USB into a laptop on the side of the podium.

My endgame is to not to have to get up with each speaker and adjust the camera and center the speaker on the Zoom screen by raising and lowering the the podium. I know there will still be a small window since the camera is on the podium, but it's all I got.

Also, if there is a mount that I can put on the Microphone/Webcam on the podium mic, send me a pic or a link....

Steven E. Perry
Vernonia, Oregon
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Remote Controlled Podium Height Switch/Remote

Post by russellhltn »

seperry wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:00 pm I'm looking for a mod to keep the switch, but add some type of remote control so we can raise and lower the podium for tall and short speakers.
You'd need to talk to FM. It's their building and their system.

In practical terms, it's probably easier to look for a wider angle camera that is more forgiving on positioning.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

Suggest putting in an FIR in the church system, being as descriptive as possible and allowed by limits on text there. Then you will need to wait and see what if anything FM can do for you. Sometimes they can come up with amazing solutions.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It would be nice if you could raise or lower the floor under where the person stands at the podium. Then the podium could always stay at the same height! :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

You aren't suggesting a trap door, are you? :lol:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

garystroble wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:58 pm You aren't suggesting a trap door, are you? :lol:
Nah, too much risk of injury. But having an extreme "tall" setting on sbradshaw 's idea would give the bishop another tool for dealing with speakers who run on too long. :lol:
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

Our podium used to have a small red light for those who speak too long. Actually, the light is still there, but FM took away the button to turn it on. Something about not being authorized. So now a bishopric member has to tap the speaker's foot, hand them a note, or in the worst cases, stand up and whisper in their ear that their time is up.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

garystroble wrote: Our podium used to have a small red light for those who speak too long.
I once finished a talk early (because I started very early) and the bishop said, No, No, No. You have 10 more minutes.
I said, I do not see a green light on the podium.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

Red light, green light, hope I finish this talk tonight . . . :D

Return to “Other Meetinghouse Technologies”