New Clerk PC hardware - 2021

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

New Clerk PC hardware - 2021

Post by Mikerowaved »

Well, I just received the new PC's for our stake. Here's some quick specs for the curious...

Model: Lenovo ThinkCentre M70Q (11DUS45J00)
CPU: Intel Celeron G5905T (2 core, 2 thread) 10th Gen
CPU Socket: LGA 1200
Memory: 8GB Samsung DDR4-3200 (M471A1K43EB1-CWE) 1x socket occupied, 1x socket available
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 610 (Built into CPU)
Drive: Samsung PM981a (MZVLB256HBHQ-000L7) 256GB SSD, M.2, NVMe, PCIe Gen3 x4 - 1x M.2 slot and 1x 2.5" SATA bay available.

Front Connectors: 1x USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gb), 1x USB-C, 3.5mm headphone/external speaker jack
Rear Connectors: DC Power, DisplayPort, HDMI, 3x USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5 Gb), 1x USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gb), LAN, RP SMA-F (WiFi)

While the new system seems responsive enough (even with the rather weak CPU), I seriously think our 5 year old Lenovo's could run equally as well with a memory upgrade from 4 to 8GB and an SSD to replace the mechanical HD. I might try that for kicks before turning the old ones back in.

After letting the provisioning tool run and reboot a couple of times, the first one ended up with the Sophos Endpoint Agent installed. Grrr... I'll let it run overnight and see if it gets removed. On the next one, I may try running the latest provisioning tool from the mhtech website instead of what came preloaded.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New Clerk PC hardware - 2021

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:40 pm Well, I just received the new PC's for our stake.
What a coincidence. I just got two of the several that will be coming to me.
Mikerowaved wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:40 pmAfter letting the provisioning tool run and reboot a couple of times, the first one ended up with the Sophos Endpoint Agent installed. Grrr... I'll let it run overnight and see if it gets removed. On the next one, I may try running the latest provisioning tool from the mhtech website instead of what came preloaded.
Ugh. I'll have to see if I can get the new one to run before whatever image is loaded kicks in.

I'm hoping to side line a machine to become a streaming box - either sending or receiving.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:31 pmWhat a coincidence. I just got two of the several that will be coming to me.
Yeah, I got half of them on Friday and was relieved to see the rest show up today (Monday).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Any idea how big the provisioning tool is? I tried downloading it, but the connection was slow.

No Sophos when I was done, but I hadn't rebooted yet.

I noticed the OS is 1909, so it needs a feature update right off the bat as 1909 is no longer getting security updates.

Likewise, Chrome and Adobe needed an update immediately after being installed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:54 am Any idea how big the provisioning tool is? I tried downloading it, but the connection was slow.

No Sophos when I was done, but I hadn't rebooted yet.

I noticed the OS is 1909, so it needs a feature update right off the bat as 1909 is no longer getting security updates.
I recently received a new Dell replacement PC for one of our wards. The provisioning tool associated with the installed image (Also 1909) was as described by russellhltn. It was necessary to install the latest W10 version 21H1. At the moment I’m not at my usual computer to check on the size of the provisioning tool. I will update this later today!
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:54 am Any idea how big the provisioning tool is? I tried downloading it, but the connection was slow.
I downloaded it, but looking at the "1903" in file name, I'm not getting a good feeling it's any better than what shipped with the new PCs. Here are the details:

3.0.7_1903_Small.exe 1,428,991,928 bytes (1.33GB)

russellhltn wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:54 am No Sophos when I was done, but I hadn't rebooted yet.
It didn't show up for me until after a reboot towards the very end. Oh, and Sophos is still here after the 2nd overnight period.

russellhltn wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:54 am I noticed the OS is 1909, so it needs a feature update right off the bat as 1909 is no longer getting security updates.

Likewise, Chrome and Adobe needed an update immediately after being installed.
Yep. I'm starting to wonder if installing the software a la carte might be faster/easier in the long run. Does the tool to put the PC's under management, also create the dandc89 user account, if it's not there? That would be the only deal breaker that I could see of going a la carte.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:47 am Does the tool to put the PC's under management,
I'm pretty sure it does.
Mikerowaved wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:47 amalso create the dandc89 user account, if it's not there?
The install process runs under that account. It's already there.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Don't bother downloading the provisioning tool from mhtech, it's the same version that's on the new PC's.

C:\ProgramData\LDSProvision\ReadMe.txt has the version info of "3.0.7 1903".

Guess I'll update Windows, then try a la carte.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I imagine there's a bunch going on in the background. I'll just run the provisioning tool and update everything.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:27 pm I imagine there's a bunch going on in the background. I'll just run the provisioning tool and update everything.
Yep, wise decision. I tried to piece together the software needed, but key things were still left out that the provisioning tool took care of. At least now I can strongly suggest to those considering it, that that path isn't recommended.

Return to “Clerk Computers”