New Clerk PC hardware - 2021

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New Clerk PC hardware - 2021

Post by russellhltn »

LibreOffice update:

7.1.6 will not run under Windows 10 20H2 or 21H1. You can't uninstall 7.1.6 (and consequently can't upgrade LibreOffice) under 20H2. But you CAN upgrade 7.1.6 if you're running 21H1. And 7.2.1 does work under 21H1.

I suppose you could stay with the 6.x version if LibreOffice that comes with the new computers, but it seems to be out of date. I'm not sure as it would get any security updates.

So, if you're going to update, and if you're going to update Windows (which will eventually happen anyway) you need to go with 7.2.1 and Windows 10 21H1
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Mikerowaved wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:18 pm
craiggsmith wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:10 pm The three I got that worked out of the box have LibreOffice 6.2 (which works fine).
While that will work for most, LibreOffice 7.x has some nice improvements that are worth having.
russellhltn wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:06 pm LibreOffice update:

7.1.6 will not run under Windows 10 20H2 or 21H1. You can't uninstall 7.1.6 (and consequently can't upgrade LibreOffice) under 20H2. But you CAN upgrade 7.1.6 if you're running 21H1. And 7.2.1 does work under 21H1.

I suppose you could stay with the 6.x version if LibreOffice that comes with the new computers, but it seems to be out of date. I'm not sure as it would get any security updates.

So, if you're going to update, and if you're going to update Windows (which will eventually happen anyway) you need to go with 7.2.1 and Windows 10 21H1
Thanks. I'll ask each ward if they use it and then install/upgrade or uninstall as necessary. Last I heard none of them were actually using it, but maybe they are now.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

So do you recommend installing Acrobat Reader or uninstalling it? I know browsers can display PDF files, although not always as well or with all the options, but it seems Adobe updates can be a pain.

Also, I see that App & Browser Control Reputation-based protection is turned off. Is there a reason for that?

Also, the computer isn't set up to lock the screen, is that an issue? I realize MLS has its own password, and confidential documents aren't supposed to be stored on it.

Lastly, what you setting the sleep time to? The come configured as 30 minutes, but I wonder if that's sufficient to get updates.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:17 am Thanks. I'll ask each ward if they use it and then install/upgrade or uninstall as necessary. Last I heard none of them were actually using it, but maybe they are now.
If they're not using it, then I'd wonder what they are using and if it's properly licensed to the ward/church. Personally owned software is not permitted.

craiggsmith wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:31 am So do you recommend installing Acrobat Reader or uninstalling it? I know browsers can display PDF files, although not always as well or with all the options, but it seems Adobe updates can be a pain.
Depending on the provisioning tool, it comes installed. I don't know as the browsers can handle fillable forms. It does seem to try to update itself in the background with some degree of success.

craiggsmith wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:31 amAlso, the computer isn't set up to lock the screen, is that an issue? I realize MLS has its own password, and confidential documents aren't supposed to be stored on it.
I set them up with a screen saver that kicks in at 15 minutes and requires a password to unlock. It's a privacy/security issue in case someone wonders off with MLS open.

craiggsmith wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:31 amLastly, what you setting the sleep time to? The come configured as 30 minutes, but I wonder if that's sufficient to get updates.
A sharp-eyed forum member noticed the old Policy document has been updated an is now called Technology Standards. One of the interesting changes:
4.2.4  Where possible, computers with MLS should be left in standby or sleep mode and should not be powered off.  This will enable Church headquarters to manage the machine and ensure updates and patches are properly distributed.  
As such, I don't think sleep is an issue for updates. I personally dislike sleep or blanking the screen since someone may think the computer is off and kill power. Hibernate is fine. Hybrid Sleep is probably fine. My personal plan was to set up the computers to hibernate after 6 hours and to set the BIOS to wake up at 11 PM every Wednesday.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:16 pm
craiggsmith wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:31 am So do you recommend installing Acrobat Reader or uninstalling it? I know browsers can display PDF files, although not always as well or with all the options, but it seems Adobe updates can be a pain.
Depending on the provisioning tool, it comes installed. I don't know as the browsers can handle fillable forms. It does seem to try to update itself in the background with some degree of success.
Thanks, I'll install it and LibreOffice.
craiggsmith wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:31 amAlso, the computer isn't set up to lock the screen, is that an issue? I realize MLS has its own password, and confidential documents aren't supposed to be stored on it.
I set them up with a screen saver that kicks in at 15 minutes and requires a password to unlock. It's a privacy/security issue in case someone wonders off with MLS open.
That's what I was worried about.
craiggsmith wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:31 amLastly, what you setting the sleep time to? The come configured as 30 minutes, but I wonder if that's sufficient to get updates.
A sharp-eyed forum member noticed the old Policy document has been updated an is now called Technology Standards. One of the interesting changes:
4.2.4  Where possible, computers with MLS should be left in standby or sleep mode and should not be powered off.  This will enable Church headquarters to manage the machine and ensure updates and patches are properly distributed.  
As such, I don't think sleep is an issue for updates. I personally dislike sleep or blanking the screen since someone may think the computer is off and kill power. Hibernate is fine. Hybrid Sleep is probably fine. My personal plan was to set up the computers to hibernate after 6 hours and to set the BIOS to wake up at 11 PM every Wednesday.
Good to know, and good idea, thanks.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

craiggsmith wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:23 pm
craiggsmith wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:49 am So I did a full reinstall of Windows (21H1) and again it prompted for a church employee login, and again installed Sophos after the initial provisioning. So I'm pretty sure it's the same issue you are having. I'll call support again and see if I can get someone more helpful.
The support person today said the behavior I am seeing with these two machines is because of a random beta-test they are doing, but he couldn't find the email with the solution. We'll see when they get back to me and what they say, but seems odd, the other explanation seems more plausible.
Interestingly Sophos disappeared off the one machine I hadn't done a full reinstall on yet. So I did a reset on the one that I had, and so far it hasn't installed Sophos. I sort of wish it would revert back to the original configuration though, as now it has a bunch of apps that can't be uninstalled (such as xbox). I know there is a way to get rid of those, I did it on the ones I am replacing, but it's not critical.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

russellhltn wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:06 pm LibreOffice update:
You can't uninstall 7.1.6 (and consequently can't upgrade LibreOffice) under 20H2.
Update: You can if you run the installer "As Administrator". By default, you can't do that with a MSI file. The simplest workaround is to launch CMD "As Administrator" and then use you MS-DOS skills to run the installer.

It's possible that some of the other problems could be fixed the same way, but decided to stick with 21H1/ and LibreOffice 7.2.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Stranger and stranger. Out of the 6 new computers I'm prepping, only one seemed to provision properly (as far as Sophos goes). I discovered today that instead installing Sophos on the new machine, the new Sophos got installed on the OLD computer that was going to be replaced (Same computer name).

And yes, there's a clear difference between the old Sophos that used to be on ward clerk machines and the new one.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Feedback from the Technical Product Manager: "CHQ Desktop Engineers are aware of the issue where Sophos and other apps not intended for Clerk computers are installed during the provisioning process. A fix is in the works and no user interaction will be required to remove these applications."

I'd add that you probably need to make sure the computer are on and connected so they can "phone home" and act on the new instructions.

By the end of the month, new computers will ship with 20H2. 21H1 isn't yet certified with their environment.

sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

craiggsmith wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:17 am
russellhltn wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:06 pm LibreOffice …
Thanks. I'll ask each ward if they use it and then install/upgrade or uninstall as necessary. Last I heard none of them were actually using it, but maybe they are now.
If they're not using it, then I'd wonder what they are using and if it's properly licensed to the ward/church. Personally owned software is not permitted.
These days when most clerk or executive secretary tasks can be done from home anytime during the week, what use cases would require a word processor or spreadsheet program on the clerk computer at all?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Clerk Computers”