New Clerk PC hardware - 2021

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New Clerk PC hardware - 2021

Post by russellhltn »

I need to find a better way to update the machines. It takes way too long for them to update themselves. I'm thinking about seeing if I have 20H2 somewhere and manually install it to jump start things. If I download it now, it's likely to be 21H1, which wouldn't be the worst idea ever.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I have successfully done that, by downloading and installing the 21H1 image from Microsoft!
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:24 am I need to find a better way to update the machines. It takes way too long for them to update themselves.
I've got them all running in parallel with 1 monitor and a wireless keyboard/touchpad combo from Logitech. Every day I move the HDMI cable and Logitech dongle down the line to check for further updates and reboot as needed.

russellhltn wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:24 amI'm thinking about seeing if I have 20H2 somewhere and manually install it to jump start things. If I download it now, it's likely to be 21H1, which wouldn't be the worst idea ever.
Yep, the Media Creation Tool is still stuck on 21H1.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote: I'm hoping to side line a machine to become a streaming box - either sending or receiving.
I think this would be an ideal solution to the missing satellite dish problem.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

lajackson wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:54 pm
russellhltn wrote: I'm hoping to side line a machine to become a streaming box - either sending or receiving.
I did exactly this a few weeks ago with an old clerk computer. Also put in a SSD and additional ram. Customised for webcasting/streaming!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think the Lenovo M70 series fits that spot just nicely. I've got two being replaced. I don't know for sure, but I strongly suspect they'll miss their shipment to the recyclers. :mrgreen:
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:18 pm
russellhltn wrote: I'm hoping to side line a machine to become a streaming box - either sending or receiving. :D
I think the Lenovo M70 series fits that spot just nicely. I've got two being replaced. I don't know for sure, but I strongly suspect they'll miss their shipment to the recyclers. :mrgreen:
I just happened to have two recently replaced Dell clerk computers. :D Took the memory out of one, plus replaced the HDD with an SSD to make a stable system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not sure at what point it happened, but the first computer I prepped installed Sophos. Worse, I can't disable the services. It seems to have additional hardening.

I just have to update/reboot/see if it goes away.

I started a second computer. Installing 20H2 right after provisioning was agonizingly slow, but over all seemed to be much faster than trying to do it normally. So far, no Sophos on that one. I'll have to see what happens. In this case, I installed the newer management software right away. I hoped it would either update or get a newer config file. But BES Client service seems to have disappeared. I'll have to see if that comes back.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:54 am I'm not sure at what point it happened, but the first computer I prepped installed Sophos. Worse, I can't disable the services. It seems to have additional hardening.
Yep. Ran into that myself. I'll call support on Monday and see if they can disable it from their end.

russellhltn wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:54 amI just have to update/reboot/see if it goes away.
No luck [yet] after rebooting daily for 4-5 days.

russellhltn wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:54 amI started a second computer. Installing 20H2 right after provisioning was agonizingly slow, but over all seemed to be much faster than trying to do it normally. So far, no Sophos on that one.
It showed up on mine after everything was done and I rebooted. I'm attempting to upgrade everything to 20H2 before running the provisioning tool. Is that what you already tried?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:20 am I'm attempting to upgrade everything to 20H2 before running the provisioning tool. Is that what you already tried?
No, I was letting the tool run, and then upgrade. That's more or less what my existing machines have done.

Since you're probably going to talk to them before I do, you might remind them that if they didn't renew the license for clerk machines, they're installing unlicensed software. Maybe that will motivate a fix. :)

Return to “Clerk Computers”