Removing satellite receivers

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
andrewjorgensen

Removing satellite receivers

Post by andrewjorgensen »

Dishes at one of our buildings have been removed, but I can't seem to find information on how we should remove the receivers. I'd love to free up that space in our AV cabinet.

Can buildings that have had dishes removed also remove receivers?
If so, should we arrange for FM to pick them up?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Removing satellite receivers

Post by russellhltn »

I'd leave them for now. They may be needed to confirm to those upstream that the dish has indeed been removed.

FM may come by later to remove the receivers.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
andrewjorgensen

I'm pretty sure they've already confirmed removal of the dishes, because the way I found out the dishes were gone is that the receivers were deregistered.

I'll check with FM. Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

andrewjorgensen wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:35 pm I'll check with FM. Thanks!
Yeah, that would be the safe thing. I'd expect the dish to be removed by a contractor. But they may not have given the contractor access to the building. They may be planning to send around an employee at the next available opportunity.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
andrewjorgensen

Your results could vary, but our FM confirmed that I could remove the receivers myself, so I have. Made it possible to tidy up the cabinet better, so I'm very happy about that.
RyanGard1977

Post by RyanGard1977 »

I know this is an old post but thought I would throw in a few things. Some buildings will continue to utilize the satellite dishes. I'm working on satellite sound to chapel sound system issues at a stake center that just got a new dish, in fact. And it was approved by the FM and Salt Lake to get the new dish, as this building is unable to get any internet speeds above 5M down and .5M up. So- for those of you who have buildings with terrible internet speeds that makes streaming conference and other church broadcasts difficult if not impossible, make sure you are talking with your Stake Technology Leader and Stake Leadership and make sure they are in turn talking with their FM Group to ensure that building is not on the list to have the satellite system removed yet.
Ryan Gardner
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Has the Church stopped transmitting on the North America C-band channel? At our last general conference in October our meetinghouses were still able to watch the proceedings via satellite. But last week most of them were no longer receiving a satellite signal on the frequency the Church was using.

I would like to confirm that this was the problem so I can tell our wards and branches to stop trying to use the system, even though none of the receiving dishes or other equipment has been removed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:10 pm Has the Church stopped transmitting on the North America C-band channel? At our last general conference in October our meetinghouses were still able to watch the proceedings via satellite. But last week most of them were no longer receiving a satellite signal on the frequency the Church was using.
I had a problem awhile back where one of the receivers was knocked off frequency (or wasn't updated with a change). I used the frequency setting from a receiver that worked and updated the one that didn't. That fixed it.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:23 pm I used the frequency setting from a receiver that worked and updated the one that didn't.
I cannot find a working C-band receiver. I think they all must have dropped off around the same time.
mcasay

Post by mcasay »

Just wanted to add another data point: the six buildings in my stake in Indiana all stopped receiving a signal earlier this year. They have not had any of the dishes or receivers removed yet (FM group says the project was pushed back to 2022 instead of 2021). This shouldn't affect receiving sites outside the mainland US.

Return to “Satellite”