Sharing expenses?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Jstylzz

Sharing expenses?

Post by Jstylzz »

We are the agent ward in our building and have another ward from outside our area sharing the building. My bishop asked if we have a way for the other ward to pay for their half of the supplies electronically. Things like sacrament cups, printer toner, etc. that he normally orders online. Is there a way for them to send us funds? I told him that we don't have a ward Venmo account :D
davesudweeks

Re: Sharing expenses?

Post by davesudweeks »

Note: this was before the days of online reimbursements.

When I was clerk, 3 wards shared the building and we have been the agent ward "forever." I created an "invoice" form that I would provide to the other 2 wards that they could use as a receipt to reimburse our ward via check. The form showed the item, reason for the expense and the full cost. Then there was a place to record each ward's share (1/3 of the original).

I would pass those forms to the other two clerks and they would process them and provide a check back to our ward. Everyone liked it as it was simple and passed all the financial audit requirements. If an Auditor wanted to see the original expense, they would need to come to us and we would provide the original documentation (that never happened).

Someone else will have to answer if it can be done electronically (I suspect not) but the check method works well. I' pretty sure I still have the blank form - if anyone wants a copy send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you. It is an Excel file.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

davesudweeks wrote: Someone else will have to answer if it can be done electronically (I suspect not) but the check method works well.
I know you can do electronic transfers between wards in a stake and with the parent stake.

I believe (but am not certain) that stakes are able to transfer funds between stakes.

I think trying to involve two wards in two different stakes would be a sure fire way to lose track of the transaction. I would send them an invoice and ask for a check.

I have seen another way of doing it. Each ward takes a turn ordering supplies and keeps track of amounts spent. The ward that has spent less orders more often. Back in my missionary days, we kept a chart on the apartment wall and called it equalization.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

lajackson wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:14 pmI think trying to involve two wards in two different stakes would be a sure fire way to lose track of the transaction. I would send them an invoice and ask for a check.
Wards and branches can transfer Budget and Other funds to other wards or branches in other stakes. It shows up as a transfer and the originating ward is listed in the transaction details in LCR. Combined with an email to the destination ward with a heads up that the transfer was made, it shouldn't be hard to track.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”