Missionary Returned to field but finance report show him as "Returned Missionary with a Balance"

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Klisa2

Missionary Returned to field but finance report show him as "Returned Missionary with a Balance"

Post by Klisa2 »

One of our missionaries returned home from his mission for health reasons earlier this year. He returned to the field about two months ago, but our most recent Financial Statement still has an Action Item labelling him as "Returned Missionary With a Balance". I can see that the church has started taking out monthly expenses for him since his return to the field, and the family has contributed to the account, but it's still showing as a action item and I'm concerned that the $3,000+ balance in his account will somehow get "swept" by church HQ. Any idea how to make this action item go away? (I just added a comment explaining his return to the field when I reviewed the most recent financial statement, but not sure anyone even reads those comments, much less takes action on them.)
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: Missionary Returned to field but finance report show him as "Returned Missionary with a Balance"

Post by rmrichesjr »

That sounds appropriate to raise with the official clerk support resources listed on the clerk help/support pages.
eblood66

Re: Missionary Returned to field but finance report show him as "Returned Missionary with a Balance"

Post by eblood66 »

You may want to check with the global support department as rmrichesjr said. But we've been given no notice that CHQ will take any action themselves on accounts with a balance. Maybe that will happen eventually but I'd expect to get a more specific warning before that starts happening. For now I think they are just trying to encourage units to clean up missionary accounts.

The financial statement comments are for communication between unit leaders (mostly the clerk and the bishop/stake president). I very much doubt they are read by anyone at CHQ.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Klisa2 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:08 am and the family has contributed to the account [implied since returning]
implication added
Klisa2 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:08 am the $3,000+ balance in his account
Given that there can be reasons that missionaries don't finish their mission it might be wise to let the family know they have a large balance and to have them wait before they contribute more, just in case.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

In practice, have forum members seen an increase in the frequency of these "excessive" account balances in their local units, due to the pandemic and other reasons? I'm not certain that local Bishops/clerks have this on their radar, when a missionary's service is interrupted, to be pro-active about ensuring account balances don't balloon from continuing donations. $3000 does seem excessive to me.
Or perhaps some members have a practice of dumping in a lot of money for multiple months of service, with (or without) the understanding that there's the potential for their donations to not go to their desired missionary if some eventuality occurs?
Perhaps these cases are minimal, but I've often wondered whether they were more extensive than I might expect (and correspondingly if we should be more careful locally). So just asking for anyone's experiences.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”