Church Roku Device

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
sphester

Church Roku Device

Post by sphester »

Hi

Pur FM group gave us a Roku 2 device some years ago. It was supposed to be a backup for conference if the sat system failed.

Cant say we ever used it. Now the sat system is going in the uk I wanted to try and set it up.

We also have a special uk conference being broadcast on youtube and wanted to use it for that.

We cant access youtube on the device and dont know the pin.

Dont suppose anybody know what the pin was set to.

Just seems a device with some potential but limited now due to the lack of apps.

Thanks

Simon
Biggles

Re: Church Roku Device

Post by Biggles »

We were also given a Roku device by our FMG manager. It was setup using his church email account. He has since moved on, thus no information forthcoming. I’m not sure, but it might be possible to do a factory reset, but you would probably have to use an email address known to you to carry out any setting up after. I haven’t tried this. If it works, either way come back to us with the outcome!
sphester

Post by sphester »

Hi

So I factory reset it. It was simple enough For now just registered it with my email address but will work on using the ward address once I have tested it will do what I need it to. You do have to put a credit card in when you set it up but it lets you remove this once it all activated.

The only downside I see is it is not that easy to input the link I've yet to find an easy way to put it in and it brings up the broadcast starts in 2 days. There only appears to be a search function that will not find it.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I have downloaded the iOS Roku app. Would this make using the Roku easier?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I use either the Android app on my phone or the Windows app on my laptop to control my Roku. It is so much easier to enter text when you have a full keyboard instead of just arrow keys. You can also cast YouTube links to a Roku, the same way you can for a Chromecast.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

drepouille wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:08 pm You can also cast YouTube links to a Roku, the same way you can for a Chromecast.
Except from a Pixel phone, I found out. Apparently Google doesn't want to play nice. :sad:
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sphester

Post by sphester »

drepouille wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:08 pm I use either the Android app on my phone or the Windows app on my laptop to control my Roku. It is so much easier to enter text when you have a full keyboard instead of just arrow keys. You can also cast YouTube links to a Roku, the same way you can for a Chromecast.

I tried this with very mixed results it seemed to just be a copy of the remote inside an app unless I have downloaded the wrong one. When I put the URL link into a web browser I get the broadcast will start in 2 days on the Roku player it doesn't really give me any feedback.

I'll do some more testing

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”