Pulpit HDMI Input and iPad Lightnight / HDMI adapters

For things that just don't fit anywhere else.
andrewjorgensen

Pulpit HDMI Input and iPad Lightnight / HDMI adapters

Post by andrewjorgensen »

We've had problems using iPad Lightning to HDMI adapters with the HDMI input at the pulpit. The video drops every few seconds like it's trying to renegotiate. It was especially embarrassing when a Seventy was visiting for a conference and had planned to show a video.

Other devices work fine on that input.

Has anyone run into similar issues and found a solution?
Wattsuk

Re: Pulpit HDMI Input and iPad Lightnight / HDMI adapters

Post by Wattsuk »

Not all systems are created equally. That applies to church buildings as well as lightning to HDMI adapters.

To start with, are you using the official adapter?
andrewjorgensen

Yes, they appear to all be using the official Apple adapter, but I will double-check that. It's possible they have convincing knock-offs.
As to the system at the building, if it helps this is a system that was installed around 5-6 years ago if I recall correctly. It's this Extron input on the bottom left of this photo.

Attachments
original_eb64e90c-1cd4-40fc-9534-366b286bec51_PXL_20210918_165725003.jpg
(1.98 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

andrewjorgensen wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:44 am Has anyone run into similar issues and found a solution?
Yes, we've been experiencing a similar issue with our Extron HDMI inputs. Feeding into the pulpit jack can sometimes work, but if you unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in 10 seconds later, it fails most of the time. The indicator light goes green for a few seconds (indicating a good input), then amber for a few seconds (indicating a bad or missing input). All the while, my notebook PC (with a direct HDMI output) goes nuts as it switches between 1 screen and 2. When it's working, I can select almost any resolution on-the-fly and it instantly locks on. When it fails, it doesn't matter what resolution I select, it won't latch onto anything,

Also tried the HDMI input jack at the rear of the chapel, but can't get anything to work there.

Later today I'll be turning in a trouble ticket in FIR. Our system was installed earlier this year and I believe is still under some sort of warranty.

BTW, are you able to feed audio into the 3.5mm jack on the Extron plate, or do you use the jack in the top-center of your pic?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
andrewjorgensen

Mikerowaved wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:58 pm BTW, are you able to feed audio into the 3.5mm jack on the Extron plate, or do you use the jack in the top-center of your pic?
I prefer the jack in the beige top-center plate because it doesn't require switching to the "Media" setting for the chapel and it's easy to adjust the volume quickly if it's too loud or too quiet. But we've used both, and we've even just used HDMI audio (when HDMI works at all).
Mikerowaved wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:58 pm Later today I'll be turning in a trouble ticket in FIR. Our system was installed earlier this year and I believe is still under some sort of warranty.
Ours is definitely out of warranty, but I've also filed a FIR in hopes that it can be fixed. Please let me know if they are able to solve it!
harperrg

Post by harperrg »

We've got this problem at our building. Did you find any resolution with filing a trouble ticket?
andrewjorgensen

Not yet. They sent a tech over who tested with some other device, reported that that worked, and closed the issue. I tried to arrange to meet the tech there, but couldn't manage it because I also had to arrange to have someone with an iPad there.

I'll try again if I can make those arrangements.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Someone else in another thread reported an issue with the pulpit HDMI output that turned out to be a weak signal due to the long cable run.

You might want to try running the signal though an active splitter to act as an amplifier. I doubt mobile devices are designed to drive a long cable run.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
andrewjorgensen

In this case that shouldn't help. The input takes HDMI from a short cable and changes it to Cat5 for the long run. It's designed for exactly that kind of environment and it works with other devices.

It's a good thought though. And I do wonder if a splitter would solve the problem for other reasons, so I'll give that a try next chance I get.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

andrewjorgensen wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:38 pm In this case that shouldn't help. The input takes HDMI from a short cable and changes it to Cat5 for the long run.
Is that an active conversion, and if so, where does it get it's power?

I'm thinking that for whatever reason, the device just isn't delivering a strong enough signal to make it though what it has to go though.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Other Meetinghouse Technologies”