Smart TV without the apps/advertising?

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Smart TV without the apps/advertising?

Post by barkeraj »

Curious if anyone knows of a TV that is smart in that it has airplay and chrome cast, but doesn’t have all the Netflix/etc and associated advertising.

Love the functionality of being able to stream to a TV but hate turning it on and have some rated R movie being advertised before getting a gospel message going. I know that is how TVs subsidize their cost, so if we need to pay a bit more for no ads I think we’d be up for it.
eblood66

Re: Smart TV without the apps/advertising?

Post by eblood66 »

I haven't tried any out myself on my TV but if you get an Android TV I think you should be able to install an alternative launcher to avoid ads. At least that might be one alternative to look into.
seanhyte

Post by seanhyte »

If you have Android TV os you can set a restricted profile and put apps that you only want to see. https://support.google.com/androidtv/an ... 3330?hl=en . Some tvs will have built in Android TV or use a Mii box or Nvidia shield with any TV.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As attractive as an all-in-one package is, I'm not sure as it's the best idea. I don't think Smart TVs are supported as well from the standpoint of security updates and length of support. Also, it seems the streaming technology gets outdated faster than the TV itself. That means you're either going to have to toss a perfectly good TV or use an external device anyway.

Besides, the lack of advertising could disappear in an update.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
john@shumwayfamily.net

Post by john@shumwayfamily.net »

I just ordered a Samsung pro tvs. The ones for customizable for business use. I think this may be a viable solution. Looking to try and have the start splash screen be the instructions or something two. Will report back how it worked.
davidcdeem

Post by davidcdeem »

Love this idea - did anything ever come of it?
pwilson

Post by pwilson »

We recently received a number of large 65" TV's for our chapels and the Samsung TV's are excellent as they have Airplay and Wireless Display connectivity for Windows laptops natively built in. However, there is significant work involved in setting up a PIN and locking all the pre-installed apps and removing others, including a "free samsung internet TV app" that requires removing all the channels.

Once this is done one cannot access the apps, but initiate an Airplay or wireless mirroring even without the remote. It's pretty slick.
drepouille

Samsung 65-inch Smart TV

Post by drepouille »

pwilson wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:29 pm We recently received a number of large 65" TV's for our chapels and the Samsung TV's are excellent as they have Airplay and Wireless Display connectivity for Windows laptops natively built in. However, there is significant work involved in setting up a PIN and locking all the pre-installed apps and removing others, including a "free samsung internet TV app" that requires removing all the channels.

Once this is done one cannot access the apps, but initiate an Airplay or wireless mirroring even without the remote. It's pretty slick.
One of these Samsung 65-inch Smart TVs magically appeared in our meetinghouse library this week. It is really quite powerful. While I waited for the STS to add it to the Liahona NoSplash policy list, I connected it via Ethernet cable to the network to get past the setup pages. I was amazed to find a complete channel guide with apparently free content available. I don't know if I am willing to manually remove all those channels from the guide -- it's a lot of work. I was hoping to see BYU-TV in the channel guide...

I set the built-in web browser's home page to the church home page, but I don't know if that is permanently stored somewhere or not. The browser is extremely tedious to use with the Samsung remote control, and a mouse is not supported. Darn.

I was able to cast Chrome tabs from other devices to the TV. I was also able to connect to the TV as a wireless display device from Windows using the Windows + P key combo (and the system tray).

I hope our Gospel Doctrine teacher will use this new TV, rather than the projector she has been using, which is tedious to set up and has audio limitations.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I've been less than pleased with the "onboarding support" provided when receiving these new Samsung TV's (our Stake likewise has recently been having the TV's installed in all our buildings). We essentially needed to bang the drums to get any kind of coordinated response that offloaded all these questions/concerns from each individual building rep (or STS or Bishop). Besides the cords that drape from the TV's to the nearest outlet (we had to spend weeks trying to get confirmation the FM Group would install outlets directly behind the TV's "if we submitted an FIR request"), there's also the default channel that appears when turning on the TV. Usually it's the Tennis Network or something, but recently it was an episode of Baywatch (no, I'm not kidding). And then also the question about whether members should be able to come and turn on the TV anytime they want and just watch random free TV channels at church.

It would be great if the default (and only) channel were BYU-TV, for GenConf and other broadcasts and such. I know that's not possible, just sayin'. But if anyone can share a reference doc explaining the process for removing (or just removing access to) the Apps, I think it would be very helpful. Ideally the FM Group would take care of this as part of the install process. Or at least provide reference material to the local Building Rep / STS so they could do it. But if each individual unit has to figure this out themselves, a reference doc from the Forum is a great starting point.
jsherw

Re: Samsung 65-inch Smart TV

Post by jsherw »

drepouille wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:10 am While I waited for the STS to add it to the Liahona NoSplash policy list, I connected it via Ethernet cable to the network to get past the setup pages.
Hi Dana, can you please explain or point me to how to add the new TV to the Liahona NoSplash policy list? Is this the same as adding it to the Lehi network, or different? Thanks!

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”