Can't log on to Staples site following instructions

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aaronandregan

Can't log on to Staples site following instructions

Post by aaronandregan »

I'm my ward's clerk and need to order new toner for our printer, but I can't log on to the Staples website following the instructions at https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... g=eng&_r=1

The Staples site at https://www.staplesadvantage.com/idm will not accept an account number that begins with anything but a number, dynamically displaying an "Invalid account number" message, and disabling the "next" button whenever I enter the account number LDS000#### with my unit number (the message disappears and the "next" button activates if I start the account number with a numeric character).

I've ordered from Staples in the past without problems. Any ideas?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Can't log on to Staples site following instructions

Post by russellhltn »

Just for kicks and grins, try using 000#### (leave off LDS).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The account number is the Customer ID in the instructions without "RCH" at the end. The first text box you need to enter anything into is the User ID that you refer to in your post as account number. The second text box to enter data is the password. That is as given in the instructions.

I can't give the step by step instructions here in the forum because those instructions are to be kept confidential and are to be used only by those with callings that have access to the Help Center article instructions.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The customer ID is as you say. But there's also a "User ID" that comes up and is mentioned in the instructions.

I can confirm that putting any letter as a first character will immediately give you an indication of "invalid account". As such, the instructions as written will not work.

Given that the church is moving away from "LDS", I thought it would be worth a shot to go with just the numeric portion. Given the Customer ID, having "LDS" doesn't seem to serve any purpose in making the User ID unique across the church.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:00 pm The customer ID is as you say. But there's also a "User ID" that comes up and is mentioned in the instructions.

I can confirm that putting any letter as a first character will immediately give you an indication of "invalid account". As such, the instructions as written will not work.
I'm not sure what's different but when I enter 'LDS<ourunitnumber>' as the User ID it doesn't give any error while entering it and the Next button stays active. When the field is blank it shows 'Required' which disappears as soon as I start typing something. So Javascript is running on that page for me. When I hit Next it shows the password field and I'm able to log in.

I'm using Chrome. Maybe it has different behavior on different browsers? I don't know.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That's interesting. When I tried the link yesterday, I definitely got "Customer ID" as the first prompt (and as documented in the Help Center) and could duplicate OP's complaint. But now, I'm getting "User ID" - bypassing "Customer ID" completely.

nitzmahone

Post by nitzmahone »

I was having similar issues a couple days ago- got it to work today by entering the LDS-prefixed and 7-digit-padded unit number as the User ID (eg LDS0123456), then clicking "Login with User ID/Account number and password" below it and entering the supplied Customer ID under Account Number, and the supplied password under Password... Clear as mud, but definitely working today.
aaronandregan

Post by aaronandregan »

Huh. Thanks for the help everyone. Today, when I tried to log in, the site only requested a User ID (rather than both Customer and User ID), accepted the LDS00##### ID and our ward's password.

Just to close the loop, @russellhltn, I had tried it originally with the leading "LDS", without it, and with a trailing "LDS" before, and none of those worked.
JKirk

Post by JKirk »

Swap the "Customer ID" and "User ID" on the login screen.
wakefoot

Post by wakefoot »

Swapping the "Customer ID" and "User ID" on the login screen worked!

Return to “Local Unit Finance”