Double EFT reimbursement from fast offering category

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jgdavis

Double EFT reimbursement from fast offering category

Post by jgdavis »

The RS Pres submitted a receipt that came out of fast offerings. The Bishop entered the expense. Two days later, she texted me to let me know that she had submitted a receipt. The original reimbursement request was handled before I ever saw it in the system. The same expense was recorded by me a few days later. Both were EFT, which cleared. It was caught during the monthly financial review. What is the best way to return the duplicate reimbursement into the Fast Offering category without having the member show on her record that her returning the extra funds was a donation?
eblood66

Re: Double EFT reimbursement from fast offering category

Post by eblood66 »

You'll need to create a 'non-member' donor and credit the donation to that donor. The return will have to be done as a check or cash payment so you can set the donor. You could use a donor name such as 'Overpayment Return' or some such. Keep an explanation of the situation in the documentation of the donation batch as well as in the expense documentation.
sevfrance

Post by sevfrance »

I have the similar issue - member paid twice for same Fast offering expense. If member returns it in Other and says overpayment can this be done through EFT?
My undertanding is that donations in the other category do not count toward charitable donations - Am I correct on this?
Lastly from the ward level when the receive this payment into other do they then have to transfer it to Fast offering category?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You can't donate to "Other" via EFT. Attempting to return it by donating to Fast Offering via EFT will result in a chartable contribution.

The best way I can think of to fix this is by submitting it via a small gray envelope and attributed to some "return" "user".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sevfrance

Post by sevfrance »

Ok I just verified and you are correct it cannot be done through EFT - they have the other category but it only lets you select Book of Mormon or Temple contruction.
So the plan is to have the member make the donation using cash back not using their name but instead "return of overpayment" and then classify it to Fast offering correct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sevfrance wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:23 pm Ok I just verified and you are correct it cannot be done through EFT - they have the other category but it only lets you select Book of Mormon or Temple contruction.
So the plan is to have the member make the donation using cash back not using their name but instead "return of overpayment" and then classify it to Fast offering correct?
Cash or check. Yes, you've got the idea.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”