Strange case of the missing calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
RBeatse

Strange case of the missing calendar

Post by RBeatse »

We have a Stake calendar that is only for Private events (weddings, birthdays, funerals, etc.) and only a select few can view the events there (of which I am the main person). About a month ago, I noticed that when I sign into the calendar, the Private Events calendar is not even listed in the left hand nav portion and all of the events that are on the calendar are visible but they default to the standard building color, instead of the mauve-y color they should be
No Private Events.png

If I add a random event, the "Private Events" calendar is an option to add, so I can go ahead and add it to that calendar
Add a Private Event.png
Then once added, the rest of the calendar now shows correctly with all of the Private Events colored correctly and the calendar showing on the left nav.
Post Private Event.png
It is very strange!!!!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Strange case of the missing calendar

Post by russellhltn »

Scroll the left column to the top. Click on "Choose calendars". Make sure your "Private Events" calendar is turned on.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

It was always on, which is why it shows after I add the test calendar entry
Choose Calendars.png
Choose Calendars.png (30.91 KiB) Viewed 4391 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Interesting. Any possibility it might have something to do with the number of calendars you have switched on? It would still be a bug, but would provide a clue as to what is going on.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

Yes, it is possible that there is just too much info for it to figure out upon sign on since that calendar is chock full of reservations. It really only affects me but thought I would bring it up in case it was indicative of something else. Thanks.
supermanforever

Post by supermanforever »

I have the same problem with missing private calendars. At first I thought it was a browser problem with Chrome (cookies and other site data & cached images and files). So I cleared that and the problem still appeared (missing private calendars). I tried Incognito mode since that always works for me fixing the church website, but that did not work. I tried Microsoft Edge browser, Internet Explorer, and then a different computer. I even checked the Tools App and the private calendars are missing.

I added an event to a private calendar (thanks to this forum) and now the stake leaders private calendar shows up. I only have 4 stake calendars so I don't think the problem is having too many calendars. Stake Calendar and Ward Leaders Calendar is public. President calendar and Stake Leaders calendars are Private. The President calendar only has about 3 to 4 events a month (return missionaries flights using synced calendar url for the stake president's google calendar) so I don't think the problem is with the amount of events. I also noticed that google calendar does not show my private synced calendars from the church calendar (private does not show and public shows).

The adding an event did help me on the Chrome browser but as soon as I refresh the page, the calendars disappear again. Tools app still does not show the private calendars.
bcchristensen

Post by bcchristensen »

I’m having the same problem. It started about two weeks ago for me. I’ve been doing the same thing that others have mentioned (create an event for one of the disappearing calendars to make the calendar appear), but that only works temporarily.

The issue exists across all my devices, as well as on the Church computer I use.

I’m an Assistant Stake Executive Secretary. Nobody else among the Stake Presidency, clerks, etc., have observed this issue yet, so we’ve been speculating if it has anything to do with my calling. There was a time a few years ago when the powers-that-be decided that Assistant Stake Executive Secretary wasn’t a legitimate calling, and all access associated with that calling was revoked. There was enough uproar over that to cause the decision makers to reconsider their decision, and the calling was added back to the system, but with much more limited access. It has improved over time, but that incident has us wondering if this calendar issue could be related to the calling.

I’m curious what callings are held by the others who are experiencing this calendar issue.
Last edited by bcchristensen on Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

You may be on to something. My calling is “Stake Building and Park Scheduler” & “Calendar Administrator”. Not sure if either of those are official callings. For this particular calendar, I am added by name and not calling. That could be the issue <shrug>
bcchristensen

Post by bcchristensen »

Here’s a little more information that may offer a clue (or maybe not).

When the Assistant Stake Executive Secretary position was revoked, I worked with the Stake Clerk to grant me access to all the private calendars by name instead of by calling so I could resume my duties.

When this recent calendar issue surfaced, as part of our troubleshooting the Stake Clerk and I added me back to the private calendars by calling, and we discovered that Assistant Stake Executive Secretary was listed twice in the callings drop down box. We initially just selected the first instance, but that didn’t seem to do anything—it didn’t save the changes. We went back and added both instances, and that worked to save the settings, although the private calendars still disappear from my calendar list on the left navigation when viewing the calendar.

Also, this issue doesn’t just affect the display of the calendars in a browser, it also affects calendar syncing. I have our stake calendar synced to my Google calendar and to my iPhone, and the private synced calendars disappear from both of those locations.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bcchristensen wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:49 am Also, this issue doesn’t just affect the display of the calendars in a browser, it also affects calendar syncing. I have our stake calendar synced to my Google calendar and to my iPhone, and the private synced calendars disappear from both of those locations.
Are you using the "Auto-synced" list (which follows the selected calendars) or a "Custom" list, which is manually selected?

Return to “Calendar”