Updated General Handbook re: 2nd hour attendance

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
garystroble

Updated General Handbook re: 2nd hour attendance

Post by garystroble »

I have read General Handbook section 33.5.1.1, which was released 15 Dec 2021, over and over and am at a loss if these are real changes or errors:

1) We are to record visitors now for 2nd hour? Where would this be done and how do we identify them as visitors or non-members? We have never counted visitors in second hour in the past to my knowledge, nor is there a mechanism currently to do so in LCR or the Member App.

2) Instructions for many years have been to record those who attend other wards such as full-time missionaries and those with Stake callings or assignments as attending their home ward for 2nd hour (and previously 3rd hour). The language here is completely the opposite, saying their attendance should be recorded in the ward they attend that week, not sure how that is possible in the current software.

Does anyone have any more information or guidance on these changes, if in fact they are really changes and not just typos? It seems to me that especially item 2) is taking a situation which is easy to manage and turning it into a complicated and confusing one.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Updated General Handbook re: 2nd hour attendance

Post by russellhltn »

Yes, this is a change. And it strikes me as odd because while sacrament is just a count, the 2nd hour has always been a roll. How visitors are dealt with is a good question.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

These are valid changes. While a few typos may have slipped through, the Handbook has been vetted pretty thoroughly. More instructions will come soon -- I don't know how soon.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I see a change coming at LCR. Perhaps the list of organization members will stay, but I forsee the addition of a box where a number may be entered, as is currently done for sacrament meeting.

What I see, or course, is totally my own personal opinion. I have nothing on which to base it, either. Therefore, it is totally useless at this point. Feel free to ignore my musings.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

As Elders Quorum President, I don't see anything different on the Class and Quorum Attendance report as of today. Until changes happen to the report, there is nothing I can do about it so will just wait for the changes. No point in getting concerned about something that is not live yet and that we don't have instructions for. Keep Calm and Carry On (and check the report periodically for any changes...).
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

davesudweeks wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:12 am As Elders Quorum President, I don't see anything different on the Class and Quorum Attendance report as of today. Until changes happen to the report, there is nothing I can do about it so will just wait for the changes. No point in getting concerned about something that is not live yet and that we don't have instructions for. Keep Calm and Carry On (and check the report periodically for any changes...).
It is always good to have a plan in advance. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail, the old saying goes, referring to the Church collectively and not individually. :lol:
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

garystroble wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:41 pm It is always good to have a plan in advance. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail, the old saying goes, referring to the Church collectively and not individually. :lol:
I don't disagree. My plan is (if no instructions are issued beforehand from the church) to watch the tech forum and check the attendance form for changes at least a few days before each EQ meeting. Until something changes, there is not much point in speculating on something we don't have any details about.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

Hopefully it is not rolled out with the information that it is in effect 6 weeks prior to the instructions as one of the recent attendance changes was. That is my big concern regarding a plan; there needs to be one, and forward looking not retroactive. Here is a link to the last retroactive roll-out I am referencing, it was dated February 10 but retroactive to January 1:
viewtopic.php?t=38535&hilit=retroactive
nitzmahone

Post by nitzmahone »

In the quarterly report (the main reason attendance is taken, since it directly affects your budget allowance), the actual reported values on all the attendance-based metrics have already been editable for as long as I can remember. The initial values in the report come from your attendance for convenience, but if you know a given number should be higher (eg, due to out-of-unit members, investigators, visitors), you can already edit it directly by just using the "Edit" button in LCR.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

nitzmahone wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:43 pm In the quarterly report (the main reason attendance is taken, since it directly affects your budget allowance), the actual reported values on all the attendance-based metrics have already been editable for as long as I can remember. The initial values in the report come from your attendance for convenience, but if you know a given number should be higher (eg, due to out-of-unit members, investigators, visitors), you can already edit it directly by just using the "Edit" button in LCR.
Second hour attendance does not currently materially affect the budget allowance, other than slight additions for young men, young women, older primary children and young single adults. It is primarily driven by sacrament meeting attendance which is just a head count. Thus far no instructions have been received to include out of unit members, investigators or visitors in the second hours statistics as well, which was my original point. Everyone present or virtual is counted for sacrament meeting.

Return to “Reports and Forms”