Android / droid LDS apps

RossEvans
Senior Member
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

#11

Post by RossEvans »

eblood66 wrote:I'm pretty sure that is an Android feature. I don't think there is a separate mobile version of LUWS. I get similar behavior for addresses on other sites. This video demonstrates the general Android browser feature: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2FpDDEVWtk

Maybe I am giving to much credit to the server-side developers of LUWS and not enough to the Android developers at Google.

What is impressive is that -- however this is happening -- well-formatted but non-geocodable addresses are not even clickable, but geocodable addresses are. So something is doing some preprocessing to render the clickable links only for addresses that the maps app can process. If that is happening on the fly in the Android browser, I am impressed.

Hmm. I am slightly less impressed. I also see some well-formed and geocodable addresses that are not clickable.
RossEvans
Senior Member
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

#12

Post by RossEvans »

RussellHltn wrote:I didn't see any similar functionality with Ward Roster. Oddly, the city/state from the 108 test data did not import. Maybe that's why.

Ward Roster, when populated from my ward's LUWS download file, works quite well with almost all addresses clickable. I haven't tried the app lately with MLS data.

The failure of MLS 3.1.0b8 beta to export city and state fields, which occurs in Membership.csv, HomeTeaching.csv and VisitingTeaching.csv, looks like a bug. The city and state are visible when browsing membership records through the user interface.
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15127
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

#13

Post by aebrown »

boomerbubba wrote:The failure of MLS 3.1.0b8 beta to export city and state fields, which occurs in Membership.csv, HomeTeaching.csv and VisitingTeaching.csv, looks like a bug. The city and state are visible when browsing membership records through the user interface.
Are you saying that in your testing that the city and state fields are not included those three export files? They most definitely are included in those export files in my testing, so I see no bug.

Could it be that you are using fresh test unit data? If so, the addresses are not formatted, and so the city and state fields are not actually populated in the database, even though they may appear that way in the UI. In this case there would be an Urgent task reminding you to format the addresses. I wish the test data didn't work that way, but it's only yet another limitation of the test data, not an issue with real MLS data. I have formatted the addresses in my test data so that I can generate more realistic reports and exports.
RossEvans
Senior Member
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

#14

Post by RossEvans »

Alan_Brown wrote:Are you saying that in your testing that the city and state fields are not included those three export files? They most definitely are included in those export files in my testing, so I see no bug.

Could it be that you are using fresh test unit data? If so, the addresses are not formatted, and so the city and state fields are not actually populated in the database, even though they may appear that way in the UI. In this case there would be an Urgent task reminding you to format the addresses. I wish the test data didn't work that way, but it's only yet another limitation of the test data, not an issue with real MLS data. I have formatted the addresses in my test data so that I can generate more realistic reports and exports.

Yes, I am using fresh test data, and I have done no "Urgent Task" reformatting.

BTW, I replicated this comment over on the other thread about the email and phone changes. Maybe this dialog should be moved there.
eblood66
Senior Member
Posts: 3624
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

#15

Post by eblood66 »

boomerbubba wrote: Hmm. I am slightly less impressed. I also see some well-formed and geocodable addresses that are not clickable.
It certainly doesn't like the grid-style addresses used a lot in Utah (eg 999 West 100 South). Almost all of my ward are grid addresses and none of them are clickable. The only ones that are clickable are the ones with a normal non-numeric street address (which is only about 3 of them). Of course, I can see almost all the houses in my ward from my house so I don't have much need to map them :).
M D M-p40
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: USA

help

#16

Post by M D M-p40 »

new guy here... trying to export membership data to my droid to us navigation/gps to find members in my far-flung ward, I really need this to work.- I recently dowloaded the app from the droid store "Ward Roster". when I push the help button on the app for help w/ the export it directs me to dowload the membership info to my sd card? does the droid have an sd card? if so how do I do that?
RossEvans
Senior Member
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

#17

Post by RossEvans »

M D M wrote:new guy here... trying to export membership data to my droid to us navigation/gps to find members in my far-flung ward, I really need this to work.- I recently dowloaded the app from the droid store "Ward Roster". when I push the help button on the app for help w/ the export it directs me to dowload the membership info to my sd card? does the droid have an sd card? if so how do I do that?
Yes, the Droid has an SD card (technically a microSD card). It is just flash memory.

You use the supplied USB cable to plug the phone into the computer. Then click on a popup to mount it as a flash drive on your computer, and copy the file to the Ward Roster directory. Then unmount the drive and unplug the USB cable before running the import.

After the import. If you are using exports from the church MLS system. Remount the drive or use a third-party file manager installed on the Droid to delete the confidential Membership.csv file.

See the Ward Roster site for support at http://wardroster.blogspot.com
User avatar
garysturn
Senior Member
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:10 am
Location: Draper, Utah, USA
Contact:

#18

Post by garysturn »

M D M wrote:new guy here... trying to export membership data to my droid to us navigation/gps to find members in my far-flung ward, I really need this to work.- I recently dowloaded the app from the droid store "Ward Roster". when I push the help button on the app for help w/ the export it directs me to dowload the membership info to my sd card? does the droid have an sd card? if so how do I do that?
I don't know much about the Droid except what I have read. What I understand is that the Droid has a limited amount of built in memory (256 MB available for Apps) where applications can be installed and therefore it uses the SD card for storing the data items. I believe I read that Apps can not be stored on the SD card, just the data from the Apps. The SD card can also be used for other data items like music, movies, books, etc. Once the 256 MB of Apps storage is full you can not install any more Apps.

It is not like the iPhone where it has 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB of built in memory all of it available for Apps or data items.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 31317
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

#19

Post by russellhltn »

M D M wrote:does the droid have an sd card?
It comes standard with a 16GB card, user upgradeable to 32GB. See boomerbubba's post for directions.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
M D M-p40
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: USA

#20

Post by M D M-p40 »

BOOMER- Your directions and citations referencing other sources to make Ward Roster work were just right. The app now works perfectly on my droid and I can click on the phone number to dial it, or to obtain the physical address. The droid gives me voice prompts to my next destination. I no longer need a physical map! A huge time saver for me making it much easier to minister to the saints of my brand new ward.
Thank you so much!
MDM
Post Reply

Return to “Mobile Applications”