OBSBOT TINYCAM / ZOOM / OBS technical issues

Using Google Meet, Zoom, etc.)
isin1776

OBSBOT TINYCAM / ZOOM / OBS technical issues

Post by isin1776 »

Setup is the following:
- M1 Pro Max (All settings are optimized under 1080P and are using the new M1 transcoding Hardware)
- OBS 27.1.13
- Zoom latest version
- Rodecaster Pro
- 2 (Two) Obsbot cameras plugged using USB power extended cords. (this is done to combat the length distance of their location of around 30 to 50 feet) (depending if we have a performance)
- 2 (Two) USB hubs (are used to plugged each Obsbot on either one of the hubs)
NOTE: these Obsbot cameras are never plugged together into the same USB Hub, always on separate USB Hubs.
- used both wifi and Ethernet settings

Please if anyone else is using this similar set up and has encounter these issues and have found any solutions all input is welcome.

Issue Log:
12/26/2021: It's a hit an miss using ObsBot TinyCams, sometimes they work other they don't. I have to unplug usb inputs and reconnect on either one of the 2 USB Hubs i'm using.
- I have tried to close OBS and relaunch it yet the video dose not come in.
- I have also downloaded the ObsBot software to see if the cameras register and sometimes they do others do not.

- The times that they do work together I have documented the set up even to the wires been used and were they are been plugged into.

Lastly I've reached out to Obsbot support and the only thing they reply was "use a better USB HUB". I've reply I'm using 2 different USB hubs with great reviews not to mentioned over $100 each.

I have tried utilizing both ethernet and wifi to stream the zoom meeting and the issue still the same. sometimes they work others dont.

My only guess is if the cables are too long, yet i'm using USB power extenders.

any help will be much appreciated.
Wattsuk

Re: OBSBOT TINYCAM / ZOOM / OBS technical issues

Post by Wattsuk »

Process of elimination?

Start with the USB extenders and hubs. You don't specify which type of these you are using. If they are just passive and bring in no extra external power then you are asking for trouble.
Plug the cameras directly into the macbook pro you are using.

If they work fine without the hubs and extenders then I would guess you are not getting sufficient/stable enough power supply to the camera. You do have a very long run for USB, even with a powered extender.
The separate DC adapter may fix this issue https://store.obsbot.com/collections/ac ... 3567918241

Another thought would be to reduce down to one camera and see if the problem persists. If one works consistently then really ask yourself if 2 cameras is necessary.

Lastly, 1080P is usually overkill for any type of church production. 720p is usually more than adequate and will save you significant bandwidth and processing power which will once again improve stability. Anything over 720p resolution is a serious game of diminishing returns.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

For the USB extenders, are they active or passive? An active extender has electronics in the downstream end (likely basically a 1-port hub) that resets the cable length limit. I have used 5 meter (~16 feet) active extensions with good results. The packaging on them says they can be chained at least two levels.
isin1776

Post by isin1776 »

Wattsuk & rmrichesjr I like to thank you so much for your valuable input.

Below is the list of hardware / model number and links from the Brand companies:

- HUB #1 ACCELL SKU: K172B-002B
https://www.accellww.com/collections/hu ... ng-station
Hub #1 dose have its own power source and it is plugged into the single USB C port located on the Left side of my Mac M1 Max
Hub #1 only has 2 devices been plugged into it, 1 OBSbot tiny camera and a USB cable from the RodeCaster Pro

- HUB #2 Hyper - Viper 10-Port USB-C Hub Dock for Apple MacBook Pro
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hyper-vipe ... Id=6427853
Hub #2 dose NOT have its own power supply and it plugs directly into the 2 USB C input ports on the Right Side of my Mac M1 Max

- The Power Extender: Cable Matters Active USB Extension Cable 16.4 ft / 5m (USB 3.0 Extension Cable Male to Female)
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Ac ... B00DMFB5OK
I have 4 of these Power Extenders (Active) plugged into the Cables running from my Mac to the OBSBOT Tiny cameras

As of 2:47AM 12/29 I've stumbled upon a company called Area51
https://www.area51tetherco.com/product- ... e115-boost
they provide a single USB C TO USB C cable that's 31 feet long and Performs seamlessly without the need for any additional power supply when using a late 2016 Mac or newer computer model with USB-C.

Los Alamos USB-C Right Angle Male to USB-C Male Tether Cable 9.5m/31ft
SKU: TC2200

I will provide a follow up once I have these delivered.

Wattsuk: I will take your advice and revamp my entire OBS set up to accommodate a 720P set up. As well as purchasing the OBsbot power supply.

Lastly, if all fails I have also started looking into using NDI technology in hopes of using our wifi (with an average of 51 Download and 16 Upload) along with my iphone to use it as the 2nd camera.
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

You could certainly try moving the powered USB hub from the computer end of the chain, to the other end of the USB extension cable, right up to the camera end and see if that makes a difference for you.

I have used NDI with the mevo start camera to good effect. Uses less bandwidth and processing than I expected and convenient for zoom.

Your extension cable specifically states that it is not for daisy chaining. It does have the facility to use an external DC power supply though, which may be the resolution you need, if you haven't got the optional adapter already.

Before purchasing more hardware, I would rally recommending eliminating everything you can to ensure it works well and then build out from there.
isin1776

Post by isin1776 »

Wattsuk,

I completely agree with your execution plan.

Lastly: How would you explain that back on Dec 19, 2021 under the current set up I'm running everything worked out flawlessly? I had not only my 2 Obsbot Cameras but a 3rd simple webcam j5create USB HD Webcam with 360 Degree Rotation. Hooked up to my 2nd USB NON powered HUB.

The reason I use multiple cameras is due to the fact that during our zoom transmission, I like to provide a better viewing experience to our zoom members that are not able to attend the ward due to medical reasons, and thus when we have any type of performances I can switch from either the primary kids signing while also having the violinist / organ player / piano / singer etc.....

As a side note: I would really like to invite you to one of our zoom transmission so as to see the various enhancements I apply to such zoom meetings :) Let me know if you're ever interested. Not sure what the policy is under this forum to share someones phone number? but if I'm able I can post my cell phone so you can send me a quick text and I can forward you the zoom link.

You mentioned NDI, can you share what software and apps you ended up implementing?

Currently I've downloaded the NDI software From NewTek as well as the iphone App. I will be running a test at the ward today in the evening.
https://www.newtek.com/ndi/applications/connect/

I will keep you posted on that.

Thank you everyone for your input.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

isin1776 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:16 pm As a side note: I would really like to invite you to one of our zoom transmission so as to see the various enhancements I apply to such zoom meetings :) Let me know if you're ever interested. Not sure what the policy is under this forum to share someones phone number?
I wouldn't advise sharing a phone number in a post, but you can do that via Private Message.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
isin1776

Post by isin1776 »

Wattsuk,

If you like to send a private message, let me know :). thanks everyone for you help
isin1776

Post by isin1776 »

Wattsuk & all fellow tech guys :)

Update:

January 2nd, was a complete success!!!! and here are the changes I implemented.
NOTE: take in mind that I'm using 2 Obsbot Cameras and a AverMedia Web Cam which I have now upgraded to a J5 Create HD Webcam (this is a must cheap webcam from costco, got it for only $39)

Ok so here is the list: (for hardware models and details please see previous post on this same post tread)

- Created both a new Profile and Scene Collection in OBS to showcase a 1280x720 Resolution
- #1 Obsbot is utilizing 2 power extenders and it is plugged into a power based HUB which then plugs into a single USB-C port on my Mac M1

- #2 Obsbot is utilizing 2 power extenders YET it is NOT plugged into ANY hub but just a SHORT single USB-C to USB-A Female Adapter connector from: JSAUX $8.99 Link below
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BS8SRWH?re ... tails&th=1

- I Also labeled and color coded the cameras with their respective hubs, extenders, usb C port so as to replicate the same set up using the same Ports.

I think that by simply dropping the resolution down to 720p from that of 1080p it allowed for better performance all around, and the funny part is that it actually looked and acted more stable. (wish you would have seen it)

Now I'm encountering an old recurring issue: AUDIO
- I'm using the RodeCaster Pro and all firmware has been updated to the latest version.

Issue: It seems that every time i switch from the Microphone on the pulpit to say a Video with Audio playing on a different scene or maybe changing scenes to my Hymns App which plays from my laptop the audio gets really choppy and it takes about 10 seconds or so to adjust and get decent audio feedback.

Note: the RodeCaster Pro is plugged into the Wards Audio system via a 2 RCA to XLR Male Y Splitter Cable (product link below)
https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Unbalan ... 2288&psc=1

Is there maybe a different way to plug the RodeCaster Pro to the wards audio system, or maybe a change within OBS I might be overlooking?

Thank you in advanced for your feedback.
Also I'm not sure how to send you a private message Wattsuk, as every time i use the search for user it dose not seem to find your contact info. If you would be so kind as to send me a private message so I can reply back with the zoom login info.

Take care everyone.
isin1776

Post by isin1776 »

Wattsuk,

and the yes the RodeCaster Pro is also plugged into the same USB POWERED HUB that Obsbot Camera #1 is plugged into.

I'll try to see about not using the webcam and using that port to plug the wiring straight from the rodecaster Pro to the m1 mac, and maybe just NDI technology to use my iphone and replace the webcam entirely. I'll keep you posted on that.. but if you or anyone else can provide any other feedback to my audio issues please let me know.

thanks

Return to “Interactive Virtual Meetings”